Chapter 32

October 31st, 2019.

The Johnsons were at Damon and Elizabeth's Halloween party which they organized in their home.

“Happy Halloween.” The words kept flying around the room from people they knew to strangers who just said it randomly to anyone they saw.

“Champagne?” The waiter asked Brenda and Mercy who were standing in a corner observing everything quietly.

Brenda and Mercy spoke at the same time.

“No, th-thank you.” Brenda said.

“Yes, please.” Mercy's words were louder.

“Which one am I going with?” The waiter asked.

“I'd take the champagne. My sister doesn't want it.” Mercy said, taking a glass.

“Okay. Enjoy the party.” The waiter walked away.

“You t-too.” Brenda said.

“I see your speech is getting better.” Mercy noted.

“I-It is?” Brenda tapped her neck where the larynx is located.

“It's not like you'd find out by tapping your neck.” Mercy giggled. “I'm glad that in no time you'd have your normal voice back.”

Four  kids jumped in front of them. “Boo!”

“Ahh!” Mercy was startled.

The female kids were dressed in Jesterina costumes that would fit them perfectly with a red  clown wig and wore harlequin makeup while the boys wore  black hooded capes and Dracula wings  with fake vampire fangs worn on their teeth and fake blood on the lateral commisure of their lips.

“Trick or treat!” The kids yelled holding out pumpkins which were carved into Jack-o-lanterns.

“What does that mean?” Mercy asked Brenda who shrugged.

“It means you have to give out Candy to them.” Alex walked towards them with Chloe by his side.

They were both dressed in a pennywise costume. Alex had on a black clown wig, while Chloe had a reddish-orange clown wig. They both had an IT-inspired clown makeup on and similar IT shoes.

“And if not?” Mercy asked.

“You'd have to get ready to face our wrath!” One of the kids roared.

“Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....” The kids made scary faces and Brenda quickly reached her purse and brought out money and dropped it in their Jack-o-lanterns.

“What is this?” One of the kids asked.

“We don't want money. We want candy.” Another kid said.

“I...uh...I don't h-have c-candy. Th-That's all I have.” Brenda said.

“She's scared of us that she's stammering.” One of the kids said and the rest of them started sniggering.

“Oh no. It-it's not th-that.” Brenda said.

“You're scared of us. Aren't you?” Another kid poked her.

“Okay. Enough now kids.” Alex reached into his pockets and  brought out candy. “Go now.”

“So you had that all along and you allowed them to...” Mercy hissed.

“C-C-Can I h-have the m-money b-back?” Brenda asked.

“No, y-you c-can't.” One of the kids mimicked her and the rest of them sniggered.

“You can't do that! You've gotten your candy get going!” Mercy yelled as she held Brenda's trembling shoulders.

“You are a black! You don't get to tell us what to do!” The kids yelled.

“W-What?” Mercy scoffed. “Alex, Chloe. Do something.”

“Okay now, kids. Get going!” Chloe yelled and they scurried away.

“I'm sorry about that. They're just kids.” Chloe said.

“I-It's fine.” Brenda nodded.

“Where are your parents?” Alex asked.

Mercy pointed as the twins watched them with their mouths agape.

Victoria was dressed in a Cleopatra costume and had matching make up on as she held a Cleopatra staff. Anthony was dressed in a black hooded cape with no makeup on.

Both were dancing together on the dance floor along with other couples.

“Your mum is so beautiful.” Alex commented.

“Thank you.”

“Seeing them together, I still can't believe they're divorced.” Chloe said. “They're patching things up already?”

“I think so.” Mercy said.

“There you are.” Elizabeth walked towards them. “I've been looking all over for you.”

“She almost killed me for not finding you.” Damon said, walking slowly behind her.

Brenda and Mercy looked at both couples and admired their outfits.

Elizabeth was dressed in an adult Jesterina outfit with matching makeup while Damon, like Anthony, wore a black hooded cape but had make up on and fake fangs with fake blood on the lateral commisure of their lips.

“My goodness! You both look splendid.” Elizabeth commented on their outfits.

Finally, someone who commended them. Their parents had thought they wore something crazy and wanted them to change it. Mercy had insisted that they let them be and they weren't interested in what people would think of their outfits anyway.

“We do?” Mercy asked.

“Of course, you do.” Elizabeth looked at them again.

Brenda was wearing a voodoo magic witch doctor's costume with matching makeup, a beautiful hat and lovely boots as she held the staff and fake snake was curled around her hand with her purse in the other hand.

Mercy on the other hand, was dressed in a Miss kreuger costume with matching makeup, a beautiful hat and boots as she wore a clawed gloves on her right hand and used the other hand to clutch her bag.

“Someone said you don't?” Chloe asked.

“Our parents over there.” Mercy said.

“Nonsense! You both look better than they do.” Elizabeth said.

“Tell me why they're dancing. Aren't they divorced?” Damon asked.

“Oh well, we could dance if we get divorced too.” Elizabeth said.

“Not a chance. We stay together forever.” Damon kissed her forehead.

“Forever.” Elizabeth giggled.

Elizabeth left the twins to talk to Brenda and Mercy as she joined other couples on the dance floor to have a nice time with her husband.

Few hours later...

Elizabeth clicked her glass to get everyone's attention.

“Hello everyone. I'm sure we're all having a nice time.”

“Yeah!”

“Thank you all for coming and a special thank you to the Johnsons for being here with us again and for being the only black people at the party.”

“Our pleasure.” Anthony yelled from where he was.

“The Party's just begun. It's movie time!”

“Yes!” The crowd cheered.

“The kids will be watching  'The Addams family' in the basement while we adults will be watching 'A quiet place' here in the living room.”

“Yaay!” The crowd cheered as the kids were shown to the basement.

“Happy Halloween!” Elizabeth yelled as she clicked her glass.

“Happy Halloween!”