chapter eleven

-

-

The festival is almost over. Peter can't wait for the Cair to be empty of guests.

He misses nights when he and his siblings could gather in one of their bedrooms, with no guests to entertain, and have a nice night. He misses talking to his siblings in general. Susan and Ed have been so busy with the festival, and Lucy — always the social butterfly — has been hanging out with the guests as much as she can.

Peter feels useless, because he can't connect with people the way his siblings can. He's just not good at it. He's got a short fuse, and he's too plagued by responsibility to let loose and have fun.

He sits on the beach, staring out over the horizon. Aslan's country is out there somewhere. Peter wonders just how far one would have to sail to get there, and if, when he arrived, Aslan would even let him in.

"Peter! May I sit here, or would you like to be alone?" Luna's voice startles him out of his morose thought, and it's probably for the best.

He turns, and Luna is a lot closer than he thought she was. She's squatting down just behind him, looking out to the sea instead of meeting his gaze.

Theres some makeup around her eyes, kohl perhaps. It highlights her eyes, shining in their copper shade. Peter wonders what she sees when she looks into his eyes, and if she even thinks about him in that sort of way.

"I'd like the company," he admits. When she sits, her shoulder brushes against his, and warmth settles into Peter's chest. He feels more grounded when she's around.

"When my father would talk about the sea," she starts, "he would only mention the calm. I didn't even know waves were so rough until I saw them in person."

Luna laughs to herself. She stretches out her legs and digs her toes into the sand. "Maybe it's stupid, but I think he was trying to protect me. The sea was always an escape in my mind. He must've known I would've been afraid if I knew how unpredictable it was."

It's a solemn confession. Paired with everything else Peter knows and has guessed about her life, it does sound like her father was trying to protect her. "Are you disappointed, then? Now that you've seen it?"

Luna finally looks at him. She cocks her head to the side and smiles at him. It's the sweetest sight Peter has ever seen, and he can't think of anyone who has ever made him feel this way.

"No," she says. "I love it. Of course as a little girl, it would've been scary. But now..." she spreads her arms out, gesturing to the large expanse of water. "It feels like an old friend."

"Would you like to go swimming with me?" The words escape Peter's mouth before he can stop them. It's quite inappropriate to ask a lady for a swim, especially him being a king. But Luna doesn't use his title, and he feels like they're friends in spite of it.