chapter ten

(warning: physical abuse, 2

(warning: physical abuse, 2.4k words hehe)

-

"No— move your knight— yes, just there."

Rain pelts the windows of the Cair, holding all of the guests in and forcing Susan and Edmund to create a makeshift festival in the ballroom. With Lucy's help, they turned the ballroom into a bit of a game room. Lucy has a small makeshift stage for her and Tumnus to recount their tales (complete with a lion puppet.) Peter is holding mock sword fights for the noble children using wooden swords. Susan is — of course — hosting the dancing.

Edmund is left with hosting strategy games, more specifically chess. This would be perfect, if he knew how to play chess. This explains why Luna is now giving him a crash course, given chess is a game she and her father played often. "You're a natural," she admits. "I haven't played in ages but you've picked it up faster than me."

"Really?" Edmund brights, rolling his shoulders back in pride. "I used to watch my own father play it."

Sometimes Luna forgets — as most in Narnia do — that the kings and queens were alone, brought from another world altogether. Spare Oom. It used to be simply a legend, one her father told her would come true soon. Then, when she was around fifteen, the prophecy was fulfilled, and they heard about the four kings and queens as far as Terbinthia.

Guests file in quickly once word is spread, and Luna finds herself with her back to the wall, avoiding as much social interaction as she can.

(Truthfully, she'd love to socialize, but she would only embarrass her family, and she could really do without the lecture today.)

She sidles along the wall in the hopes of avoiding anyone recognizable, when Queen Lucy runs up and grabs her arm. "Luna! Would you help Tumnus with the puppet show? I have to use the restroom and I absolutely cannot hold it."

She twists her face up, a small pout adorning her coral lips.

Luna can't really say no to a face like that, let alone one belonging to her queen. "Alright. Just one story and then you'd better come back! I need to go soon."

Lucy swears she will, and leaves Luna to make her way to the little makeshift stage, where a bunch of noble children and adults are seated, waiting for a story to be told.

Luna sneaks behind the ruby curtain, held up by two wooden ladders. "Tumnus? Lucy said you needed my help?"

The faun furrows his brows. "Aren't you the Faye sister? You want to help me?"

"I'm Luna!" Luna reaches her hand out for the faun to shake. (He does, albeit reluctantly.) "I am a very good actress, and I'll do any part!"