Chapter 41

"Dude, where is he?" Kie questions, stressing loudly.

"Give him a second. He'll be here." Pope responds.

"He's coming." JJ announces from the Boat we had pulled out into the water. "He'll be fine."

I siren erupts from down the street, making me jump. A police car pulls up next to Kiara's car. I back away slowly, nerves pulse in my fingertips.

"JJ!" Kie calls out.

"Hey, yeah. Get back in the boat." JJ instructs us, frantically. "Get back in the boat. Untie it!"

"Shit." Kie voices.

"Wait." JJ says, eyeing the car.

John B climbs out of the cop car. My eyes widen in shock at the disheveled boy. My mouth drops open.

"No way!" JJ shouts with excitement.

"No f'ing way." Pope adds.

"Im sorry, uhh..." Kie smiles at our friend.

"Shoupe let me take it for a spin." John B motions you the car.

"Okay, that's believable!" Kie responds sarcastically. "I'll buy that for now." She moves toward the boy, wrapping him in a hug.

"It wasn't easy, bro, but I got the Phantom for you, and she runs like she was made yesterday." JJ announces. He approaches John B, throwing the keys to John B.

I take my turn in approaching the boy. I wrap my arms around his neck, breathing in his scent. The boy smelled like sweat and old deodorant. I feel a tear roll down my cheek.

"You scared the hell out of me." I tell him. He tightens his grip around my waist, hugging me tighter.

"I'm sorry." John B breathes out. The boy let's go of me, glancing at the boat. "Where's Sarah?"

"She's not with you?" Kie questions.

"No, we got separated in the swamp. She said she'd meet me here."

"No, we haven't seen her, man." Pope tells the other boy.

"Okay, well I'm not leaving without her."

JJ moves toward John B. He stands on the side of the boat, making him taller than the brunette. "John B, look at me. I know you feel bad for leaving, but there's no time, man. You've got plenty of gas, plenty of food. Once you get around that point, it's a straight shot across the sound to Dismal Swamp, okay? Once you get there, lay low, alright? Hangout for a couple weeks and then go overland. Cross the border at Brownsville, you got that? Brownsville."

John B spaces out, staring past the blonde. I could tell his thoughts were going a million miles per hour and the wheels in his brain were turning.

JJ smack him lightly, getting the boy to focus. "Hey! You got that?" JJ repeats.

"Yeah, yeah, Brownsville."

"All right, saddle her up, saltwater cowboy. Let's do this."

John B climbs onto the front of the boat. JJ joins the rest of us on the dock, watching our friend prepare to leave.

"Hey, hey. I'm sorry for basically throwing us off a cliff with this whole treasure hunt thing." John B tells us.

"Hey, John B, we were bound to run off a cliff at some point, right?" JJ questions. I let out a light laugh at his statement.

"Yeah." John B responds.

"At least we did it together, though." JJ speaks up again. He wraps an arm around both Kie and I, I put an arm around my brother on the other side. "Pogue style."

"Pogue style." John B repeats, a tear rolls down his cheek.

"Get out of here, please." Kie begs.

"Now," Pope adds. "We'll see you in two months, down in Mexico."

"Love you!" JJ announces.

John B moves to head toward the steering wheel but pauses before he reaches it.

"Hey, wait. Tell Sarah I say goodbye, okay?" John B cries.

"Of course, JB." I say.

"Don't forget. Cross the border at Brownsville, okay?" JJ says again.

"Got it."

We all walk up to the boat, pushing it out into the open water, allowing John B to leave. I feel my heart sink in my chest. John B had been my best friend for ever, it was heartbreaking to see him go.

I notice all the Pogues walk down the dock, away from the scene. I don't move. I watch the Phantom until I can no longer see it.

We all walk up to the boat, pushing it out into the open water, allowing John B to leave. I feel my heart sink in my chest. John B had been my best friend for ever, it was heartbreaking to see him go.

I notice all the Pogues walk down the dock, away from the scene. I don't move. I watch the Phantom until I can no longer see it.

I turn around to look back at my friends. I see Pope and Kie in an embrace, kissing. My eyes widen in shock. I thought she had rejected him.

Sirens echo in the distance, getting closer to us. "Hey, guys, sorry to ruin the party, but, uh, we gotta go right now. Come on!" JJ announces. I follow him, walking toward Kie's car.

I freeze in place as several cop cars pull up in front of me, trapping us between the cars and the water. I put my hands in the air in surrender.

"Pope!" Kie warns. "Pope, hands!"

"We're too late!" Shoupe says, looking around for John B. "God damn it! Bratcher have your guys stand down. Let me talk to these kids. All right, where the hell is he?" We stay silent. "JJ, I see you're living up to your name. Pope, Mila, how about you? This isn't a fucking game! You can do the right thing, right now. Where'd he go?"

Another cop speaks into his radio. "Suspect has just left Station 26 in a small boat. Need marine patrol to respond."

"I want these kids in cars." Shoupe announces