Chapter 19

I wake up the next morning to Rafe putting a hand on my shoulder

I wake up the next morning to Rafe putting a hand on my shoulder. He squats down in front of me so he is eye level. He was dressed in his usual polo and shorts. I look up at him, confused.

"Hey, I'm gonna go golfing with Top. Apparently something happened between him and Sarah."

"Oh, really?" I ask sleepily.

"Yeah, I'll be back later but I'll probably be gone most of today. You can stay here if you want to."

"I should probably go to my dad's shop. I haven't worked in forever."

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow then?"

I nod. He presses a kiss to my forehead before leaving. I roll back over, burying my head in the pillow.

I woke up about an hour later. I crawl out of Rafe's bed and wander into his bathroom. I shower quickly before heading down to my car and going to my dad's shop.

When I get there I throw my hair up into a bun to keep it out of my face while working. I go into the office and grab my apron, tying it around my waist. I flip the sign on the door, revealing that we were open.

For the next couple hours I work behind the cash register and help the customers as the come in. My dad finally comes in as I wrap two pounds of fish for a customer.

"Mi? You came in today."

"Yeah, I figured I should probably work at some point."

I continue to work as my dad heads into his office. A few moments later the bell on the front door rings, meaning someone had come into the store. I pick my head up to ask the customer what they needed.

My eyes widen as my brother walks into the shop. A large bruise, accompanied by a cut were on his forehead. His lip was swollen too. I rush over to him.

"Pope? What the hell happened?" I ask, turning his head to get a better look at his face.

"Your fucking Kook boyfriend!" He yells angrily.

A loud gasp escapes my lips. "What?"

"Yeah, your boy's a psycho."

I walk toward the front doors of the shop. "I'll be back."

I storm out to my car and quickly climb in. I drive to Tannyhill as fast as I can legally. When I get there I climb out of my car, slamming the door behind me. Rafe steps out the front door as I walk up.

"Hey, Mi-"

"You were right." I cut him off. Angry tears burn in my eyes. "You aren't good enough for me."

A hurt look crosses his face. "Wait, what?"

"Pope."

"Look-"

"No, you look. How could you? That's my baby brother you fucking asshole!" I slam my hands against his chest. "You're a fucking liar!"

"Mila, come on!" He tries to grab my shoulders. My hand flies across his face, surprising him.

"Don't you ever touch me again! You are exactly who everyone said you were! God, I was dumb enough to think you weren't. I fell for you!"

"I was high! Okay? I wasn't me."

"Shut up! Shut the fuck up!" I sob.

"Mila, please!" Rafe begs.

"No!" I yell. "We are done, we are so done!"

He steps toward me, grabbing my hand.

"Get the fuck off her!" I turn to see John B and Sarah coming out the front door. John B rushes over, shoving Rafe away from me.

"Oh, you shouldn't have done that." Rafe steps toward John B.

"Stop!" I step between the boys. I shove Rafe this time.

"Really?" Rafe demands.

"Look, man. Mila deserves better. She's beautiful and smart, and- and amazing."

"Can you please stop flirting with my girlfriend?"

"Your girlfriend doesn't seem to mind, she kissed me."

"Yeah, I know. She already told me, dumbass."

"You did?" John B looks at me.

I turn to Rafe. "We're done, you and me. We're over." I look over at John B. "Please take me home."

"Yeah, sure."

I follow him to his car and get into the front seat. I place my hands on the dashboard, dropping my head low. I felt tears forming in my eyes. I could feel John B's eyes on me, watching my every move.

I knew I had broken his heart and I felt awful. I'd messed up so bad at this point. I release a quiet sob, I reach up to stifle into my hand. "Ugh, shit." I mumble frustrated with myself.

"Uh, Mila?" John B asks softly.

I wipe at my tears, angry with myself. "I'm fine, sorry."

He reaches over to grab my hand, I let him pull it into his lap. I look over at him, a sad look still on my face.

"You okay?" I shake my head. "Hey, everyone makes mistakes, okay?"

"Why did I believe he was different?" I ask sadly.

"You see the good in people. That's not a bad trait to have." John B reaches forward to start the car. He slowly pulls out of the Tannyhill driveway.

As he drives I notice he was not headed toward my house. "John B, where are we going?"

"Surfing. Just us, you need some best friend time."

I small smile creeps onto my lips from his response.