CHAPTER 04

Three months had passed. Corporal Reece Sandoval was asked by his parents to take care of his six-year-old younger stepsister, Princess Jillian Sandoval.

Honestly speaking, this is his first time meeting his sister face-to-face. He knows Jillian's face since they introduced themselves through a video call but never met her in person.

They are half-siblings, and they were not that close, but they're civil towards each other. Well, Reece was good at pakikisama.

Jillian will be spending her two-month vacation with him in the Philippines. This is not her first time visiting the Philippines, because she's in the country whenever their parents have business trips. Sadyang hindi lamang sila nagkikita ni Reece dahil palagi siyang busy sa precinct o kung hindi naman ay nasa labas siya ng bansa.

Reece's cellular phone rang, and he swiped the green button to take the call.

"Reece, why aren't you answering my calls?" Belena, his stepmother, spoke from the other roaming line. Her voice was tinged with worry because she'd been calling her son for about five minutes.

"Sorry, Mom. I was in the bathroom, katatapos ko lang maligo besides sa kitchen naka-charge ang phone ko. Anyway, I missed you." Reece was still wrapped on his white towel as the droplets of water from his hair trailed down to his well-built body.

"I missed you too, son. Tumawag ako para ipaalala ang dating ng kapatid mo. Huwag mo siyang kalimutang sunduin. D'yan siya sa unit mo titira ng dalawang buwan. Be nice to your baby sister."

Reece assured his mom, "I will. She'll arrive at two o'clock in the afternoon. I'll be there at two o'clock sharp to pick her up. Hindi ko siya pababayaan, mom. She's my responsibility, and I promise to take care of our Jillian."

"Anyway, anak. Ano na?" Belena segued into another topic. Her voice became cheerful and lively as she smiled radiantly. She's expecting to hear good news from Reece.

Reece sighed and hissed as his temple twitched. Alam niya kung anong tinutukoy ng ina at palagi siya nitong kinukulit tungkol sa pag-aasawa.

Belena's been dying to see him with his wife and kids, but he's not yet ready for such responsibility.

"C'mmon, mom," Reece sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose, losing his patience.

He reminds himself again and again that he's talking to his mom. Belena was his stepmother, but he loves and respects her a lot.

"Reece!" Belena hissed. She's dying to see his son have a family of his own.

"Let's not talk about pagpapakasal and pag-aasawa. Dadating din ako d'yan." Reece was a bit annoyed but hid it in his voice. Ayaw niyang magtampo ang ina kaya siya na lamang ang mag-a-adjust.

"Hmp! You're not getting any younger, Reece! You are twenty-nine yet have no wife and kids? Gusto mo bang tumandang binata at kantyawan ka ng mga pinsan mo?" Belena scolded and sighed, annoyed as well.