Chapter Four: Dixieland

Start from the beginning

"It was, Boss, don't worry," Daisy reassured him, still laughing.

He shifted uncomfortably. "Are we almost there?"

"Almost," Bo replied.

Suddenly, there was a siren and a federal car behind them. Boss Hogg started to freak out.

"It's the revenuers! I'm a goner! I'm a goner!" he yelled.

"Calm down Boss, we got this under control," Luke protested.

Bo could see the wheels in Luke's head turning.

"Daisy, pass Flash up here."

She lifted the dog off her lap and handed her to Luke. "Here you go sugar."

She was starting to tune in to his plan. She and Boss Hogg lay on the floor with the seats folded over them. Bo squeezed down under the dash and kept his right hand on the bottom of the wheel. Luke stood Flash up to make it look like she was the one driving the car.

"Alright Bo, slow down, and pull it over to the right," Luke instructed from his place under the dash.

Bo started to turn the wheel to the right, easing his hand off the gas and onto the brake. Flash kept her two front paws on the steering wheel obediently.

"Are you sure this is gonna work, Luke?" Bo asked.

"It's still early. I've got a feelin'," Luke replied.

Bo stopped the car completely.

The revenuer walked up alongside the car and looked in through the window. He reeled back in shock. Flash barked at him twice and pawed the horn, not pressing it hard enough to lay on. The revenuer pressed his fingertips to his temples.

"I must still be drunk or somethin'," he groaned.

Then, he staggered back to his car and drove away.

Everyone sat up at once, Bo hitting his head on the steering wheel. Luke grabbed Flash out of the seat and cradled her in his arms.

"Good job darlin'!" he exclaimed.

Bo crawled back into the driver's seat and began driving again. He reached over and patted Flash's head.

"I don't believe it," Boss Hogg said, dumbfounded.

This explained so much about the Dukes. He made a quick mental note to write down what had just happened.

In a few short minutes, they made it to the Boar's Nest. There were a few cars parked outside, one of which was covered with a grey tarp.

"Now who do you suppose that is?" Luke asked sarcastically.

"We better make this quick," Bo grumbled, pulling around back to where the door to Boss Hogg's office was.

Bo and Luke got out, Bo helping Boss Hogg out, and Luke lifting Daisy through the window effortlessly. Boss Hogg ran to the door and tried to turn the handle.

"It's locked, somebody locked the door from the inside!" he said fearfully.

"Yeah, and I bet I know who did too," Bo scowled.

"Let's just go before somebody gets hurt," Luke ordered.

"You're not going anywhere," a voice taunted behind them.

"Oh, not these two again," Bo snarled in an annoyed voice.

"Ah, Clayton Jennings? What're you doin' here? I thought you said you weren't comin' back," Boss Hogg said a bit worriedly.

Clayton, the man who wore a gray suit and tie, tapped the ashes off his cigar. "Not since we found the money you gave us was fake, so we decided to pay Hazzard another visit."

Daisy rolled her eyes. Typical Boss Hogg, now the people around him were paying for his selfishness and there was nothing to be done about it. It made her so angry, she could spit.

"Now you're gonna pay the price," Clayton said, more like a growl.

"Clayton, Russell, w-we can talk this over can't we?" Boss Hogg stammered.

"Not unless you and that sheriff of yours is willin' to come quietly. Twenty-thousand dollars is enough to pay off our debts, and like you always say, business is business," Russell said with a cruel chuckle.

The man cracked his knuckles. Boss Hogg cringed and looked around for something to consume.

Bo quickly took a swing at Russell, hitting him square in the jaw. The man staggered backward, grunting in pain.

Clayton fired a shot in Daisy's direction as she ducked behind the General Lee. Luke wrestled the gun from his hands.

Russell recovered quickly. Bo turned to run back to the car but the man grabbed him by the belt and shirt collar, slamming him into the side of the building.

Clayton reached down and grabbed a fistful of dirt, throwing it in Luke's face. Luke reeled back, blinded.

Russell drove his fist into Bo's gut. He doubled over and Russell hit him again and again. Finally, Bo lashed out randomly. He hit Russell right in the mouth. There was a crack and the man stumbled backward, tripping over Clayton. He sat up, spitting blood and tooth fragments.

Luke reached around blindly for the car. He blinked a few times, his eyes watery from the stinging dust. Bo staggered over quickly, clutching his abdomen. He climbed in through the window and Luke felt around for the ignition. The General Lee started up and quickly drove off.

----------------------

They took the long way back home, taking unnecessary detours and kind of just driving around aimlessly for a bit. Bo sat curled up in the passenger's seat. Nobody said a word. Daisy kept all her worries to herself, absently picking at her fingernails, trying to clear her mind. Boss Hogg stared off into space, shaken, looked like he'd seen a ghost. It had been a close call, but they were dumbfounded that Bo and Luke would risk their lives for their sworn enemy, much less for the reasons he was in the mess in the first place.

So, after a while, Daisy couldn't keep her thoughts to herself any longer. "I think you should see a doctor, Bo."

"I'm fine Daisy, I ain't goin' down that easy," he said, straightening out a little. He sat up and turned backward in the seat. He looked at Daisy and smiled. "See, I'm fine." Bo perked up. "Did you see how hard I hit him? I had to have broken at least two teeth back there!" 

He simply smiled through the pain.

Suddenly, Jesse's voice broke into the CB. "Shepherd to Lost Sheep. Shepherd to Lost Sheep, do you copy? Over."

"We hear ya loud and clear Uncle Jesse," Luke said.

"Well, what in the world's takin' so long? Get back to the farm. Shepherd out."

Luke and Bo exchanged glances.

"You heard the man, let's go home, fellas," Daisy said.

They started driving back at a snail's pace. The car rumbled, wanting to go faster, but Luke didn't let it. He didn't know if Jesse was going to be angry with them for putting their lives in danger or be proud of them for saving Boss Hogg from the two greedy psychopaths.