Chapter Four: Dixieland

As federal officer number one grabbed Bo by the shirt and pointed a hollow point at him, well, he was wide awake. Bo's hands went up instinctively and federal officer number two knelt beside him.

"I guess you're not the person we're lookin' for. Do you know where we could find one Rosco Purvis Coltrane?" he asked.

Bo kept his eyes down and shook his head. One let go of him and he and Two left, headed towards the house.

Bo silently followed after them. Luke was already crouched behind the white Cadillac, well out of sight. The lawmen passed him by and he ushered Bo over.

"What do we do?" Bo asked.

"I ain't sure, but hopefully they can make up a story as to why those two ain't allowed in one of the bedrooms," Luke whispered.

Inside the house, Jesse, Daisy, and Cooter were taken by surprise at the sight of lawmen at this hour.

"Our apologies for interrupting your evening, but we're looking for a Rosco Coltrane and a Jefferson Hogg," Two announced.

"Well, there ain't nobody here but us," Cooter said plainly.

"Do you mind if we search the premises?" One asked.

"We ain't got nothin' to hide, but if you don't mind, give the bedroom at the end of the hallway some privacy, Rosemary just got outta the shower and she's changin' in there," Jesse explained.

"Will do," said Two.

They looked around inside the small house for a little bit, but found nothing to their interest, so, soon enough, they left and started up their car.

"Where'd you get the name Rosemary from?" Cooter asked.

Jesse just shrugged and turned the lights off in the house.

--------------------

That next morning, Jesse, not wanting Daisy to travel alone, asked Bo and Luke to drive her to the Boar's Nest. They did so gladly, except when Boss Hogg suggested he come with them, to make sure his money was still in place. Jesse said it was alright, despite Bo and Luke begging him not to. The reason, despite Cooter's warnings, the two of them were going to drive the General Lee anyway. Rosco said that Flash would protect them if they did go in the General Lee.

So, the driving party now consisted of Bo, Luke, Daisy, Boss Hogg, and Flash. All of them to be loaded into a car with all the doors welded shut. So, Flash being held by Daisy, and Daisy being held by Bo, he helped her in through the window. As Boss Hogg slowly, but surely, squeezed inside as well. With a little help from Luke, of course.

They rode in silence for the first few minutes of the drive. It was a bit awkward with Boss Hogg in there.

"So... Cooter told me what happened yesterday, but I don't think we oughta give 'em what they want," Daisy remarked, breaking the silence between the four of them.

"Did he now?" Boss Hogg asked absently, staring out the window.

"Listen, Daisy, the smartest thing to do is just do what I said. We'll all keep track of each other best we can so those two guys can't get the jump on us," Luke explained.

Bo touched the cuts on his face made by the rings of that one man. "I know one thing's for sure, if I ever see that guy again, I'ma punch his lights out."

Luke and Daisy laughed a little. Bo was no match for that man, but even in this odd circumstance, he was still determined as always.

Boss Hogg looked up. "Please tell me that was a joke."