Completely and Utterly World-Shattering

Start from the beginning

"What's on your mind?"

"Nothing."

He scoffed, "Oh come on. Don't lie to me. You've been acting different since Sapnap left." He traced the markings on his steering wheel.

"No I haven't. You have."

He laughed and glanced at me. "I have not. You actively avoid me. Why?"

"I don't mean to," I said quietly.

He nodded softly and started the car.

"Well I miss you," He said as he drove out of the driveway. He said it in such a quiet way that is was almost like he didn't say it at all.

"You're just clingy."

He laughed, "I'm not, but I feel like I'm living alone again."

"I'm talking to you right now."

"I know, but," He turned down the radio, "You're just acting different. You're okay, right?"

"I guess." I stared out the window, watching everything pass by before my eyes. "I just feel weird."

"Why?"

I looked over him, the streetlights above finally giving me a better look than his shadow. He had a bomber jacket over his pajamas, and he had one hand on the wheel and the other scratching Patches's head. She purred softly.

"I dunno," I mumbled. Of course aside from the fact that everytime I looked at him my heart raced and my stomach seemed to erupt into a weird tingle. The fact that I could barely talk to him without my chest becoming heavy with all the thoughts that I said something wrong. The fact that I'm experiencing something I had never experienced before and it is scaring me like crazy. Aside from all that, though, I had no idea.

"Well maybe this'll make you feel better. Maybe you're just nervous because it's officially been over a month and we're down to about fifty-something days left until our marriage."

"Maybe." That wasn't it.

He let the topic go after that when a song he liked came on. I rubbed my hands together to find them dampened with sweat. We hit the point where there were no more cars in sight, and he glanced at me before speeding up. He wasn't nearly as fast as he was last time. I wasn't complaining. I didn't fear death in the face this time. It was more enjoyable, especially since Dream rolled down the windows. He laughed as he caught me with a smile.

"Wait, wait, wait! Hold the wheel!" He exclaimed.

"What?"

"Hold the wheel!" He took my hand and placed it on the steering wheel. "Keep it straight, kay?"

"There's a reason I don't have my license, Dream!"

"Chill, it'll only be for a moment." He unbuckled his seatbelt and gently placed Patches down on the center console. He took a deep breath before leaning over and sticking his head out the window. He was tall enough so that he could stick out almost half his body and still have his foot on the pedal.

"WOOOO!" He screamed from the outside. The wind blew his hair crazy, and he could barely keep his eyes open. The streetlights gave him a warm glow, and he had a huge smile on his face. We swerved a bit as I remembered that I was in control of the car. "THIS IS AWESOME!" He cried, laughing.

He was insane.

He sat back down, giggling as he buckled himself back up and took the wheel back.

"Your knuckles are white!" He teased. "What? Is this your first time holding a steering wheel?" His hair looked like it had just been swept by a tornado. The look in his eye was almost surreal, like it was all just a fantasy.