Sugar

Those nights will haunt me forever, when late spring turned into summer. When we ran through the streets, out of sight and out of mind. When we tried to drink up those few months of bliss, knowing that summer was the only happy time in that city. We were living how we wanted, and the future was an afterthought.

Laying in the field, under the rare occurrence of a clear sky, under the influence of anything and everything. Wondering whether or not this connection is real, or just a synthetic carrier.

There is nothing keeping either of us here. There is no appeal to this place. The outcome is inevitable. Get out, stay gone, or nosedive into the bottomless lake.

Everything aside from the two of us was a nonfactor. Sitting on the hill as the day died down, and we were resurrected into the night. Nocturnally.

Flee the scene, before we slip down the mountain and watch the truth unravel below us. No handholds, no footholds.

Look around in the empty remains. We painted this blank space with perfection. Now the colors drip into the gutter. The oasis falls apart. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Fantasy to embers, excellence to mold.

Heavy metal sacrilege meets the constellation of love. One above and one below.

In affairs of the heart, we were headstrong and irreverent. Sharpening our knives before the battle royale.

We tried our luck and tip toed on the tightrope. Teased the thin line between realms. Looked into the eyes of the devil and walked with the grim reaper.

So here it goes, the infinite landslide. Don't let us run free in this city. Don't let the aftermath send us barreling towards the uproar of the flames.

Here we remain, the debt collector of demise and the emotionally bankrupt summer animal. Departing at the autumn equinox. See you in the spring.

We were moonlighting as good people. Rotating masks, day by day. Programmed machinery. Robot minds with twisted conception.

Black hearts, joyous and hopeless. Walking the shattered glass without a single sensation of pain.

We were cast into the eternal and catapulted into the rapture. We were unbreakable and inseparable, living in our own world.

So those nights will haunt me for eternity, when we didn't care about anything except the moment. Our pathetic grabs at euphoria in the await of impending doom, when we yelled at the shadows late into the night.

Casual mischief. Perfectly calculated mistakes.

What remains of us now is a fading mystery, getting less and less powerful by the year.

They say truth is stranger than fiction, but this was ordinary. It was the usual, predictable, just particularly sadistic. Love is at the location and the escape dices it into minuscule pieces.

The state lines are tripwires, so we've found. You want to leave, but it won't be subtle. You want to stay, but you sink deeper, the odds increasingly against your favor.

Old habits die hard, but tough love dies harder. We took the steaming locomotive en route to the last edge.

Red roses burned into belladonna. We were the anthrax in the cauldron. We oxidized the poison. 

Fate was in our own hands. The dominatrix of the dark and the stone cold scoundrel.

Congratulations on pulling strings to escape the horror, and doing anything you can to be happy. We carefully mapped out the blueprint to freedom. Architects of dreams, too big to understand. We burned the antiquated structure of normal life.

Gone but never forgotten. Stains of blood spatter stay on the walls throughout the city. The seven deadly sins which we will never confess. Our fucked up adventures. The resulting butterfly effect.

The phantom of the opera would sing in baritone, watching over us in real time.

And those nights will haunt me til the day I die. We were the only people in the universe. Divine and disinterested. Polite and sociopathic. We knew it was fleeting. We knew the end was near, that we would have to leave before the clouds of poison rolled in.

We came through, guns blazing, living in the extremes. A nonstop celebration of bad decisions. A party for the end of the world. A goodbye ceremony, only two names on the guest list. The supernova lawbreaker and the cosmic sinner.

Keep breathing in animation, burdened by a cold disposition. Those nights will never be altered. You can only run so far away.