Chapter 34 : A small Tale that never happened (but should have)

Far above our assembly of travelers, returning back to a nearby Inn after a long emotional day, there stood an infinity line of a rosy hue that laid invisible to the human eye in the heavens.

This string, while ordinary in appearance, held within it all the possibilities of the known world and all that might've happened should the past have been different than as it is known.

For the pair that the red line looked at the longest, it couldn't help but cry a little as what could've been their future played out within. Agony and Despair were two nouns that Fate disliked using, if only for the long-since held knowledge of the words almost physically hurting just as much as it hurt humanity to be inflicted by it.

Too many times it had seen the souls of others crumble underneath the weight of hopelessness brought on from such things, only for a few to survive.

In this such string of those who refused to give up despite being tormented by Agony and Despair was the untold Saga of Lan Wangji and Wei Meifeng if the horrors produced by the Sunshot Campaign never happened, thus never brutally taking Jiang Fengmian and Lady Ziyuan from the ones who loved them never occurred.

So many other deaths, such as Jin Zixuan, never passed either, surpassing the time of his unfortunate death that Fate had in store for him in its other hand.

How happy were he and his gentle wife to raise their son in comfort, righting misunderstandings as well between new family members.

With love so rich in the air, it was a matter of time before Meifeng and Wangji's love would grow further until the world was blessed again with news of the perfect couple joining in marriage. The ceremony happened underneath the large oak that grew proud on the Lan clan's grand pavilion, having never been cut during its thousand year life.

Both individuals radiated from within an unconditional devotion for the other that was only enhanced by the passionate red they wore, only scandalized their audience by how the beautiful bride had forgone the traditional veil that would've trained behind her flowing robes, though none could bring themselves to care for the old custom.

Not when they were given the honor of witnessing the love that bloomed behind eyes of focused silver on the man she would give her heart to.

Wedded to be together until the end, the passing years were almost too kind towards Lan Zhan and Lan Meifeng as they traveled the world and helped those in need as Cultivation partners. However, this did not have to go on long before the couple was blessed again with a new life that would grow for nine months within Meifeng.

Lan Wangji, the famous Hanguang-Jun of the Lan Gusu sect, attended to his wife in every way that was called on him to be, and had refused to leave her side as she gave him a healthy son.

The child was the first of many the couple knew they would have.

All who knew the couple rejoiced for the new life, knowing a bright future was laid out for the child that had come from two people that were indisputably some of the strongest Cultivators of their generation. So the child grew in the love of his parents and loved ones, and the happy couple was only further blessed with good fortune as thirteen years went by as if it were only a grain of sand inside an hourglass.

Blinking aside the salty texture that blinded the senses, the future that may have been known slipped away through unclenched fingers into dark oblivion.

This happiness was only but a figment of what might've been, however, and could only watch in gripping sadness as the couple left its sight towards the disant community.

A/N : Ok, I only wrote this as a filler chapter since I was running out of ideas for what to write next, but I dare say it's pretty cute.