35

The coast of Fortra grew slowly up from the horizon, rising from the ocean like a low, rolling whale. Where Ellay was composed of stony peaks and frowning mountain faces, Fortra boasted fertile farmland and miles of windswept plains. This was only broken by the far eastern edge of the small country, which was bordered by a chain of mountains that dipped down into the sea. It was this coast that the Finch sailed toward.

Gael blinked against the burning sunlight, approaching Nathe.

"Where's Ainsley?"

The officer, busy untangling knots in a heavy coil of rope, nodded upwards. "Up there. Three days in and I already can't convince 'er to sit still and rest anymore."

Gael smiled, squinting skyward. Ainsley dangled precariously from the rigging, arms tangled in the ropes, apparently absorbed in conversation with Ed, who hung dangerously far over the edge of the crows nest.

She shook her head, though a smile that threatened to become tearful tugged at her lips. Ainsley would be fine. "That girl."

With another night of easy sailing behind them, Fortra was close enough for them to drop anchor and row in to shore. They landed in a bay that boasted a sprawling city with a many-spired castle jutting out of its center and were immediately welcomed by a patrol of guards who pointed their spears at the pirates and barked stern, fast questions.

Ainsley dissuaded this all by stepping forward, hands held out in front of her.

"It's alright, we come peacefully. I am Princess Ainsley of the Ackerley house of Ellay."

Gael watched the soldiers exchange glances, clearly unsure of whether or not to believe the words of the battered girl before them. She certainly didn't look like a princess. Not anymore.

"We need to speak to your queen," Ainsley continued. "The fate of your country is at risk."

That seemed serious enough to allow the guards to lower their weapons, concerned but still wary. Of course they were wary. Since when did pirates do anything for the good of the state? They relented, however, and formed a loose ring around Ainsley, Gael, and Nathe, instructing the others to return to the Finch. With that, the small trio was led through the bustling streets of the city, avoiding crowd of merchants and nearly tripping over the children that chased dogs to and fro. With every glance at the faces of the Fortrans around her, Gael's chest ached hollowly. These people had no idea their lives were at stake, that a menacing threat brewed somewhere on the horizon.

The inside of the palace was brightly decorated with vibrant tapestries and warm-coloured stone. Every winding corridor smelled faintly of cinnamon and the salty sea air that filtered in through the tall windows. The parlour that the three were led to was large and comfortable, decorated with plush red sofas and a huge wire cage in one corner that housed a brilliantly-coloured bird that chirped and trilled at them as they were seated.

The current queen of the Reyngal lineage was tall—that was the first thing Gael noticed. She carried herself with an air of regality and confidence, back straight as she approached. She was elegant, middle-aged, and beautiful, with narrow, dark eyes, pin-straight black hair, and richly-coloured robes that seemed to sweep and dance along the floor. She was closely followed by a girl who couldn't be any older than eight, with a shy, sweet smile.

They stood as she arrived, bowing once. Queen Mirali dipped her head, smiled, and gestured for them to sit down.

"Well, this is a surprise. I never thought I would have a meeting with pirates." She glanced at Ainsley. "And you, little dragonblood princess. You've caused quite a stir, haven't you?"

Ainsley flushed slightly. "So you've heard?"

"I've been told a few things. It's an honour to meet you at last."

"We... we actually come bearing news that you need to know, Your Majesty. I... would suggest that perhaps your daughter should not be present to hear this."

The queen's brow furrowed, but she nodded and turned to face the young girl by her side.

"Mavis, love, why don't you go find Josef and ask him to cut you some roses from the gardens?"

After the child had departed, Ainsley recounted everything they knew to Mirali, explaining what she could. The blood drained from the queen's face. By the time Ainsley had finished, Mirali sat with her hands clasped in her lap, unable to hide the trembling. Still, she managed to cling to her regal composure.

"He intends to attack us? Why?"

"I would say it's revenge for removing your son from the marriage contract, but even he is not so petty. I... I believe you might be the first on his list of conquers, if we don't act. When he's through with you, he'll just continue to the next country."

The queen bowed her head, jaw tight, then looked up again.

"We knew he was risking your life needlessly. We couldn't continue to promise our son—our heir—to you if we couldn't be sure you would ever return alive."

Ainsley smiled faintly. "I know. I take no offence. In fact, it's sort of a relief."

"My son was as relieved as you are," Mirali admitted, sheepish. "He agreed for the sake of duty, but he was not looking forwards to marriage."

Gael couldn't resist a chuckle.

The queen's face fell again. "But now I've damned my people."

Ainsley leaned forward. "No. You still have a chance."

"How? Our armies can't resist dragons."

"I know. But I will stop him, Your Highness. I can take back control of them. I know I can."

She looked up. Her eyes were glassy, but her expression was calm and controlled. Gael found herself wavering between intimidation and intense admiration.

"Do you know when this attack will come?"

"No. Which is why I had planned to stay here, if you'll allow it, so I can be ready when it comes. My companions here will return to sea, so—"

Nathe's mouth dropped open and Gael grabbed Ainsley's arm.

"Ainsley, what? We didn't discuss this."

"Later." Ainsley covered Gael's hand with hers, voice dropping with a whisper. Her pleading grey eyes seemed to sear into Gael's heart. "Please, Gael. Let's discuss this later."

Gael swallowed and leaned away slightly, tearing her gaze away. When she looked back at Mirali, the queen held a knowing half-smile on her face.

"Of course, Princess. There will be provisions and beds for you and anyone else. What else can I do?"

"Prepare your armies for a battle." Ainsley's gaze was intense and stony. "Evacuate the city—he'll undoubtedly attack here, at your capital, so he can take the entire country in one swoop if he captures the palace."

Mirali stood. "Then there's no time to waste." She nodded to one of the guards. "Take the princess to a spare bedchamber and supply her and the crew with anything they may need. I need to find my war commander."

Ainsley stood as well. "Your country is lucky to have you, Your Highness."

The tall woman smiled, bowed her head, and then disappeared in a whirlwind of hurried footsteps and orders to anyone she came across.

"Tell me what you meant."

Gael blurted the words as soon as she, Ainsley, and Nathe reached the large bedchamber they had been led to. A huge window opened up onto the scene, bathing the pair in sunlight. Nathe, realizing, immediately chose to depart, not explaining himself as he let himself out of the situation.

Ainsley let out a breath of air and faced her.

"Gael, you and the crew can't stay here. You'll be in danger."

"And you won't?"

She wasn't angry—how could she be angry at Ainsley? But the idea of leaving her behind was unthinkable.

"Of course I will. And that's exactly why I can't let any of you stay with me. I won't be responsible for your deaths."

"Ainsley..."

"Please don't argue with me, Gael." Ainsley reached for Gael, taking her wrists in her hands. Her thumb brushed gently against the veins that laid beneath the skin.

"Ainsley, I... there's no way I can leave you. You know that, right? I need to be here for you. You can send the rest of the crew away, I don't care—in fact, I'd support it. I want them safe as much as you do. But let some of us be here to help you."

Ainsley's gaze fell, watching the way her thumbs rubbed small circles on Gael's wrists. Sunlight spilled over her soft features, highlighting the curve of her cheekbone in gold. The quivering lump stuck in Gael's throat refused to leave.

Ainsley's shoulders slumped. "Alright. Just... don't get hurt, Gael." Her lower lip trembled. "Not for me."

The tears welling in her eyes glinted gold in the light. Gael swallowed and stepped closer, enveloping Ainsley in her arms. The smaller girl allowed herself to be held, burying her face in Gael's collar.

"I'm afraid, Gael. This... this could be the moment when it all... happens. You know?"

"I know. I'm scared, too." Gael blinked back tears that burned her eyes. "But you and I have both been afraid before. Whatever happens to us, we can weather it together."

Ainsley chuckled hoarsely against her shirt, then pulled away, wiping at her eyes with the back of her hand.

"I'm going to go have rooms set up for you, Nathe, and Luca."

"Oh, I don't think a separate room for me is necessary."

The watery smile on Ainsley's face brought a swell of relief to Gael's heart. The princess laughed.

"I suppose we have shared a bed before."

"And a bed in a place like this will be much bigger than the one in my cabin either way."

With the tone more lighthearted than before, Gael allowed Ainsley to link her arm through hers and pull her back down the corridor.

alright here's another chapter to make up for how long the last one took,,, thank you all for your support and for sticking with me! i hope these last chapters as we enter the homestretch will be worth it :) as always, your votes and comments are much appreciated!