23

The ring felt heavy in Gael's pocket. She was running out of time, and at this rate, she would likely put it off until Ainsley was gone forever and her chance to give it had disappeared. She should do it now, while the two of them sat together at a roughly crafted wooden table in the city tavern, but she couldn't force herself.

Earlier that morning, Ainsley had wished all of the pirates warm goodbyes that included, in Ed's case, an arm thrown roughly around his neck and a push into the wall of the the galley. He had reacted with a hostile shove, but they were both grinning from ear to ear. Nathe, on the other hand, as well as the rest od the crew, had gotten a handshake and well wishes. The change in their interactions in just a few weeks' time was amazing. The bitter, aloof princess was gone, and in her place was a young woman who wanted nothing more than to sit with the crew, deep in conversation, late into the night.

They would all miss her.

The two were silent now, the tavern nearly empty in the quiet morning. Outside, Gael could hear the sounds of the city waking up.

Luca was a young man with dark skin and shoulder-length hair left wavy and unruly. Gael knew who he was because the moment the tavern doors opened, Ainsley had pushed her chair back and thrown herself into his arms, pulling him in for a tight embrace. Gael stood up to greet him, and the young man gave her a wary smile and a handshake. She could tell he was surprised; he had likely been under the impression that Gael had been the one to demand a hostage, as Ainsley had been at first, but here she was now, bruised but healthy, with the dampening cuff removed from her wrist.

"Luca!" She gushed. "I've missed you." She pulled away.

"I've missed you too. How are you?" He glanced at Gael again, who found herself getting slightly defensive.

"I'm fine. How are things back in the kingdom?"

"We can talk on the way. Your father wants you home as soon as possible."

"Is that why you look so tired?" Ainsley asked. The youth smiled sheepishly.

"I rode all night. It's why I got here so fast."

"Well, if my father is so determined to have me back as soon as possible..." Ainsley looked back at Gael, who had stayed a few steps behind. Understanding, the pirate followed the two of them out of the tavern, where two horses were tethered to a post. Luca approached one of them and mounted, adjusting his stirrups and bridle. Gael took the moment of distraction to reach for Ainsley's arm just as she reached for the saddle on the other horse.

"Ainsley—may I have a moment?"

The princess took a step closer, putting more distance between the two of them and the knight as well as moving closing the gap between herself and Gael. Gael swallowed. She had started now, she couldn't back down.

"I..." She fumbled around in her coat pocket and pulled out the paper-wrapped package. "I got you something. Just to say goodbye, I suppose." She held out the package and Ainsley took it after a second of wide eyed surprise.

"Gael, you... you shouldn't have... this is so kind of you, but I didn't get you anything—"

"I don't want anything in return. But I do want you to have this."

Ainsley slowly unwrapped the small package, revealing the ring. She slid it onto her palm and stared at it, eyes large with wonder as she examined the perfectly smooth finish and bands of reddish wood that laced across its surface.

"Gael, this is beautiful, I can't possibly accept it..."

Gael, going a moment without thinking about it first, covered the short distance between them and took Ainsley's hand, wrapping her fingers securely around the ring. She hovered there for a moment, Ainsley's skin warm under her own.