18

Ainsley's entire body was sore the next morning, but she didn't mind. Pulling herself out of her bedroll, she stretched her arm back over her shoulder and winced when she heard something crack. Gael, busily rolling up her own, gave her a grin.

"You took a beating last night."

"I gave one, too."

"That you did." Gael paused, tying the bedroll tightly in place to keep it from unraveling. "You didn't have to do that, you know. I'm sorry if you felt I pushed you towards it."

"Oh, no," Ainsley was quick to assure her. "I've been dying for a chance to hit him. If anything, I should be thanking you for giving me that chance."

The sound of Gael's laughter made her smile.

The air was fresh, dewdrops sparkling on the leaf of every tree. The early morning tide crashed against the beach, and for a moment, Ainsley thought she was happier than she had ever been.

But thinking like that was stupid. She had to stop.

"So, when are we leaving to see your parents?" She questioned. Gael looked up.

"In a few moments. I just need to talk to some of the crew."

Ainsley drew her cloak around her shoulders and positioned the clasp in place as Gael left. Around her, the crew was stirring, all packing up their own things and preparing to load them back on the Finch. They'd spend the rest of the day on the small island, doing whatever they pleased and enjoying a well-earned break, while Ainsley, Nathe, and Gael would visit her family.

Apprehension coiled in her gut. Gael's parents would recognize her. What would they say? She knew they were nobility. She was nobility, too—a princess covered in bruises, knuckles still raw and red from the hits she had landed last night. Her father would kill her himself if he saw her like this.

Gael reappeared, Nathe following closely behind.

"Are you ready to leave?"

Ainsley nodded, and the three of them left the camp behind, striking out along the rocky, sheer edge of the coastline. Waves crashed against the cliff face, nearly thirty feet below, casting salty sprays up into their faces. As they walked, steps carrying them over gnarled tree roots and uneven patches of ground, Ainsley found herself next to Gael, conversation between the two of them amiable and loose. Ainsley was having difficulty thinking of herself as much of a hostage anymore.

They walked for a good portion of the morning, until the sun had burned away the mist that covered the forest. It was a clear day, with a few fluffy clouds sitting on the horizon. The trees were alive with birdsong.

Finally, they found themselves on a narrow road, well-worn by cart and horse tracks. The three followed it until it ended in a small village.

It was picturesque. While most of the few houses scattered about in the expansive valley were small, they were all well-crafted and sturdy, able to survive the battering sea winds. People walked about on the few dirt roads that crisscrossed the village, scattering small flocks of chickens. A young boy walked past, herding a group of six freshly shorn sheep.

"Hi, Gael!" He called, raising his staff in greeting. He was dressed in simple clothing and wore a friendly smile on his face. Gael smiled back at him pleasantly.

"Hello, Erik. Give your mother my greetings for me."

"Alright!" He tapped one of the sheep on the rump and whistled loudly, driving them further down the road.

Everyone seemed to know the two pirates. Almost instantly, Nathe was surrounded by a group of children of varying ages. Before Ainsley had a chance to count how many there were, a little girl was hanging from his back with her arms wrapped around his neck and several more were crowding him, impeding his movement and grabbing for his hands or clothes. The good-natured man was caught up in a flurry of greetings, and he returned them enthusiastically, ruffling heads of messy hair and lifting children up into his arms. Ainsley shook her head in amusement, turning to Gael a few steps away from the scene.

"Is it like this every time the two of you come here?"

Gael grinned. "Yes. The children love him."

"I can see why." The words slipped out before Ainsley could stop them, but Gael just smiled and nodded.

"He was my first friend aboard the Finch."

Ainsley glanced up at her, not sure if she should ask the questions on her mind. "May I... ask about how that came about?"

Gael didn't seem bothered at all. "Nathe and I?"

"Oh—no. Being aboard the Finch at all."

"Ah. My family was taking a trip to negotiate the purchase of some land with another noble family when I was younger. We were attacked by pirates, and in the chaos I fell overboard. I held onto some floating debris and was forgotten in our crew's rush to escape the Finch. The captain at the time saw me and had me fished out."

The pair had stopped walking, out of earshot of Nathe, who was still preoccupied by the children, all of whom seemed to want to tell him everything that had happened since they had last seen him. Gael's head was tipped slightly to one side as she remembered the past, a stray breeze flirting with the loose strands of her hair. Ainsley tucked her hands into her trouser pockets.

"What happened then?"

"Clay—the captain—wouldn't have me killed due to my youth. He made arrangements immediately to have me returned home, but there were several pressing errands he needed to take care of in multiple different countries, so it ended up being nearly a year before we struck out for your country again. During that time, I became close friends with Nathe and the rest of the crew." Gael grinned. "That sounds strange, I know."

Ainsley found herself shaking her head as she thought of how hospitable she had found the crew to be. "No. It's not strange at all."

"Nathe became like an older brother to me in a lot of ways. Shortly after I arrived on board I was following him around, asking to be shown and taught everything he knew. And he was happy to do it."

"And Clay?"

Gael smiled, a touch of wistfulness to the expression. "He may as well have become a second father." She shifted her stance slightly, looking down at her feet for a moment. "By the time we were home, I didn't want to leave."

Ainsley quirked an eyebrow. "Surely your parents weren't fond of that."

"It took a lot of convincing," Gael agreed. "They were so happy to know I was alive and losing me again so suddenly was... unappealing for obvious reasons."

"But they allowed it?"

"On the promise that I would be careful and visit them any time I passed through these waters so they would know I'm safe."

Ainsley looked up at the sky. A single white cloud was lumbering past. "And now you're the captain."

Gael smiled.

"How did that happen? Pardon my forwardness, but you're very young... you can't be any more than a year older than me, at any rate."

"Clay passed away and told me he wanted me to have the Finch. There was surprisingly little resistance from the crew, although without their help I'm not sure I could've done it."

"I think you're a very good captain." The words fell from Ainsley's mouth before she could stop them, and she found herself flushing slightly, even though it was the truth. She did think Gael was a good captain.

The young pirate seemed surprised, but she caught herself and gave Ainsley one of the brightest smiles she had seen from her thus far.

"Thank you, Ainsley."

Still shaking off the last few children that clung to his knees, Nathe caught up to them, reaching up to smooth out his hair. Gael greeted him with a smile.

"Are we ready to keep moving, Nathe?" She asked pleasantly, a hint of humour to her tone. He rolled his eyes.

"Yes, Captain."

The three of them continued down the road until Gael directed them to a large house made of white stone and elaborate grey brickwork. Ainsley heard the sound of horses in a stable behind the building. Gael adjusted the hem of her tunic and ran a hand through her hair. Ainsley frowned. Was she nervous?

Gael's hand found the brass knocker. When the door opened, a young woman stood there. Her face lit up.

"Gael!" She threw herself into the pirate's arms and Gael laughed, hugging her back before setting her down on the ground.

"Mara. It's nice to see you. Will you tell my mother and father I'm here?"

"Of course I will. They've been getting impatient. Come on in, of course, it is your house."

The three of them stepped into the entrance and the servant ran off, calling out to a few other people as she passed. Ainsley's gaze was wandering around the inside of the house.

Everything was clean and simplistic, but with fine, elaborate details. There were tapestries on the walls and huge windows that let in the sunlight outside. A small dog ran up the visitors' feet, placing paws against their trouser legs. Gael greeted it with enthusiasm, scooping the creature up in her arms and kissing its head.

When he appeared in the door, it didn't take any more than a single glance to know he was Gael's father. The man was tall, with his daughter's dark skin and warm brown eyes. His hair was long and braided, piled up on his head with a silver clasp. When he spotted the three of them, his face lit up with joy, gold-trimmed robes flowing around his feet as he rushed forward and wrapped his arms around Gael. She set the dog down only moments before she threw herself into his arms.

Watching the sweet reunion gave Ainsley a faint stab of jealousy. She couldn't imagine greeting her father like that. She preferred to avoid him whenever possible, in fact.

The two separated, but the man kept his hands around Gael's wrists, as if afraid to let her go again. She was smiling wider than Ainsley had ever seen.

Finally releasing his hold on his daughter, the nobleman turned to Nathe and the two shared a brief embrace. Finally, he faced Ainsley for the first time. Gael was quick to speak.

"Ainsley, this is my father, Sir Nicchols. Father, I'm sure you recognize her...?" Gael's voice trailed off. Nicchols wore an expression of surprise, but he greeted Ainsley warmly nonetheless.

"Of course. Princess Ainsley of the Ackerley estate." He bowed deeply and Ainsley copied the gesture. He looked over at Gael, eyes asking a silent question. "May I ask to what I owe the honour?"

Gael spoke up. "We'll explain everything to you, Father, in due time. First though, where is Mother? I'd like to see her."

Ainsley watched the look in Nicchols' eyes change to something softer. Something sad. He reached for Gael's hand.

"She's in bed, but she asked me to bring you in. She wants to see you."

Gael's expression was solemn. Pained. Ainsley swallowed, watching the young captain's face. She had never seen her look quite so afraid.

"Will you take me to her?"

"Of course."

In mutual, unspoken agreement, Ainsley and Nathe stayed where they were and watched as father and daughter left. Some reunions were not meant for them to observe.

tides has reached a hundred votes! not that much, but it's still a pretty big milestone to me, so here's an early update to show my appreciation! thank you so much to everyone who's been following this story, your support means a lot <3