2. "You changed the decor?"

Start from the beginning

It was before my dad joined politics and became this cold shell of a person. We were at the beach and I was a three-year-old in the picture. My parents were kissing as I poked my head out from in between their legs. They both were smiling into the kiss and I have never seen them more in love. A year after that my father joined the politics and it all went downhill from there.

"Dad," I said in the most steady voice I could muster.

He turned around, he looked old. Wrinkles graced his beautiful sharp face, salt and pepper hair, and beard. He was still a strongly built man wearing his usual attire. My mom used to call him suits.

"Hannah Clarke, you have done good for yourself," he said looking at me from head to toe and then looked around the office. He strode towards my desk and asked "May I" gesturing towards my seat.

"Of course, you don't have to ask," I said, my palms were getting sweaty.

"I am not used to sitting on the other side of the desk," he says gracefully sitting down.

"How come you are here?" I said sitting down opposite him.

"Aren't you glad to see me?" He raised an eyebrow

"I am, I am really happy?" It sounded like a question to my ears.

"You don't look happy"

"Dad-"

"I'll just cut to the chase then," He said coldly, completely cutting me off.

"..."

"I want you to come back with me," he said more like ordered.

"Why?"

"Because I want you to"

"That is not a strong reason, Dad. I can't just get up and leave" I explained shakily.

"You already did that, when you left Richmonte, didn't you?" He said sarcastically

"Dad, I left because I got accepted to NYU. I did it to follow my dreams"

"You got what you wanted?"

"Yes" I sighed

"Good. Now, I want you to come back to Richmonte, where you belong"

"No, I am not going with you," I said sternly

He can't barge into my life and order me around like I am his puppet.

"You are just like your mother, selfish and self-centered" He sneered

"Dad, that's enough. You can leave" I fisted my hands in my lap gritting my teeth.

He stood up abruptly and buttoned his suit jacket. He walked to where the door was and stopped. He turned back and stared at me intently.

"I need you, Hannah. You are my only heir. My flesh and blood" he said, his voice changed from cold and distant to tired and miserable.

"For once, think about me too. I've always supported your every decision. You wanted to go to NYU, I supported you and gave you every possible thing you needed to do it. You wanted to open your own business, I gave you the money blindly because I supported you" he added

"Dad..."

"And for once I need you to do something for me..." His voice broke and I felt a twinge of pain in my heart. I've never seen my dad so broken and vulnerable. He was always a proud man.

"You left me alone, Hannie Bear. Just like your mother" he had tears in his eyes.

I think the last time he called me Hannie bear was when I was six and I've never seen him cry like ever. Watching him like this made me cry. I got up from my chair, ran to him, and hugged him, wrapping my arms around his broad chest.