22 • Revelations • 22

Start from the beginning

"So? Half the school was at the party." I said. "Even us and we weren't supposed to be there."

"Alice wouldn't have been either if I hadn't of pressured her to come." Jason admitted, his voice full with regret.

I shook my head. "Jason, it's not your fault. You weren't behind the wheel of that car. You couldn't have known." I told him.

I didn't blame Jason for pressuring my sister to go to his party. Alice needed to get out of the house, especially with all the arguments my parents were having. I just wished I had gone home with her that night. She left before me. I should have been with her.

"Well, Jack could have prevented what happened to Alice." Jason told me.

Jack?

I bit my lip, imagining the worst. "Jack had something to do with my sister's death?" I questioned, my eyes watering. The papers and the police never mentioned Jack Williams. Never. Not even once.

"Wait, wasn't it that girl Kiera that was driving the other car that night?" Taylor asked. "What did Jack have to do with it? I only remember Kiera, her name  was all over the news."

The memories of the news stories flashed through my mind. Echoes of the name Kiera O'Connor swirled around my head like a lingering butterfly. The memory of the headline intoxicated Highschooler kills Long Shore High's golden girl is all I can see.

"Yes. Keira O'Connor killed her. And they're both dead because of it." I replied.

Jason nodded. "Kiera O'Connor did kill Alice, but Jack Williams contributed to what happened." Jason told us.

"Contributed? What do you mean?" I persisted.

"I saw them leave. Jack and Kiera got in the car together and left the party. They were fighting and Kiera was clearly drunk."

"Jack was in the car that killed my sister?" I whispered, tears threatening to spill.

Jason nodded.

Taylor didn't look convinced as she looked to me with sympathy. "Who got in the drivers seat?" Taylor questioned, searching for clarity to ensure my peace of mind.

"Kiera O'Connor." Jason answered. "But they were arguing."

I bit my lip. "Was Jack drunk? Do you think he was in the car when she killed Alice? How come I'm only just hearing about this?" I questioned as a million questions made their way into my head.

"No, Jack seemed sober. He just seemed angry. He chased Kiera down the driveway as she was walking away from him. It was obvious the two of them had just had some sort of fight. It would have been all over school the next day if the accident hadn't become the talk of the school." Jason explained.

"I guess someone's death really does affect petty gossip, huh?" I laughed, bitterly.

I was tired of gossip and rumours. Who cares?

Jason gave me a sympathetic look. "I've got to be honest with you, Charlie. I can't say I'm completely sure that Jack was in the car when Alice died." He said, looking like he didn't even what to be implying what he was. "I don't like gossip or speculation."

"But you think he was?" Taylor asked.

Reluctantly, Jason nodded. "It doesn't make sense for him not be. The accident happened at Long Point Bridge. That's not far from here and Jack's house is the other side of town from it. So was Kiera's. It's unlikely he was dropped off somewhere." Jason answered.

"I think so to." I agreed. "But I want to know if it is true." I told him.

I didn't understand any of it. Why wasn't it in the news? Why did I not know? Would it even matter? If Jack wasn't driving, it doesn't change who was behind the wheel. It does, maybe explain why she was behind the wheel drunk.