We're quiet for a few more minutes before I get up the courage to speak.

"I'm sorry, Taylor. I don't know why I keep doing this crap. Sorry you got involved, and that I was a jerk to you."

"It's all good," he says simply, clapping my thigh lightly.

"How long you in for this time?" He asks, glancing at me.

"Two weeks"

"Video games?"

"Unfortunately. Mom sure knows how to torture a kid."

Taylor chuckles again. "Do you like Call of Duty."

"Of course I do." What kind of a question is that? Does a bear shit in the woods? Duh Taylor.

"Well, once you're free, come by sometime. We'll see if you're any good."

"Cool! I don't wanna make you cry though, that would be embarrassing."

Taylor scoffs. "Pretty confident for a guy who will have been grounded for, like,  5 weeks. I've had 5 weeks of playing, perfecting my skills. You're going down, kid."

"We'll see," I say, rolling my eyes.

He chuckles as he pulls into the bay. We get out of the car, and my heart sinks. Mom still isn't back.

Taylor sees me looking at the spot the ambulance should be, and claps my shoulder. "Don't worry, Liam. It was just a car accident call. Plus, Greene and Keegan are there, along with the Chief. They will all look out for her."

"I'd feel better if you were with her," I say, looking at him. Something flashes across his face.

He appreciated that comment—a lot.

"She'll be fine, come on—You want something to eat?" He asks, walking to the kitchen.

"Sure"

"Liam!!!! How ya doin', dude?" Diego asks, coming over and pretending to jump on my back.

"What's up, Diego?" I ask, grinning at him.

He's my favorite; He isn't that old—Early twenties, maybe? He's cool. I came over one other time a couple weeks ago while I was grounded, and he played basketball with me for over an hour. It was fun.

"How long you here for today? Have time for a basketball game? Maybe we can get Preston and Rhodes to play too," he says, looking around to find more men.

"I don't know how long—But yeah, sounds fun." Anything is better than staring at the walls in my room.

"Sweet! Hey Preston, want us youngins' to school you and Rhodes? We'll show you what it's like to be young again."

Taylor grabs the ball and chucks it at him. "Awful big talk for two guys who still live with their mommy's."

Taylor can't be older than 35. He must have played basketball in high school—He didn't even need Rhodes help, kicking our butts. Once the game was over he smirks and puts Diego in a head lock. "Not so cocky now are we, Diego?" He says, laughing and going to grab a water. Just then the truck pulls into the bay. I wait, expecting to see the ambulance pull in behind, but it doesn't.

The feeling of terror comes back immediately. Diego looks at me funny, not understanding what my problem is. Taylor turns and sees my face, and pulls me into a hug.

"Buddy, calm down. The ambulance never gets back the same time we do. They have to take the person to the hospital and fill out paperwork. She won't be back for at least another half an hour. If there was an issue, truck would never have come back."