Chapter 1

Nico turned away from the stuttering Percy Jackson and walked back towards the infirmary. He felt as if a huge weight had left him, like all his crushing on Percy had stayed behind with the confession. Not that it wasn't scary. Leaving that part of him out in the open left Nico feeling a bit over exposed, but it was for the choice of a better life away from the old ways.

The pale yellow sunlight was blinding to Nico, even with only its weakest beams hitting him. He wasn't really an outside person, which was why he prefered Hades palace over the camps. There was solitude in shadows, but it seemed that those same shadows had almost taken him forever.

Will Solace was impatiently waiting for Nico to get back to being his patient. They both knew he was in no fit state to try anything remotely difficult today, though Nico was trying his hardest to deny it. He walked slowly forward, moving to pass Will and head straight into the infirmary, but a hand on his wrist stopped him.

Nico felt a surge of what felt like electricity dancing up his arm. It like as if Jason had sent one of his bolts through his hand in an attempt to take his arm off. Nico pulled away with a scowl and opened his mouth to deliver the ever famous line, "I don't like to be touched," But Will spoke before him.

"What did you say? I haven't seen Percy this confused since he first arrived." Will said, his gaze fixed on Percy and Annabeth instead of Nico's sour face.   

"It's none of your business." Nico snapped, but recoiled at his own harsh tone. Will turned around with a slightly hurt expression that made Nico's heart ache, but he passed it as tiredness.

"You're right. I was just curious. My apologies." Will said and stepped around Nico and into the infirmary. Nico had no choice but to follow as he tried to wrestle his emotions in check. They seemed to be twice as jumpy after the battle.

Will led Nico to an empty bed and forced him to sit by pushing down his shoulders. Once again the strength surprised him, but he didn't comment. Instead he half listened as Will talked and watched as the boy quickly went through the basic procedures of helping a new patient.

"It is so cool to have the Romans over, even though we have twice as many men to help." Will said, throwing fresh pillows onto Nico's bed. The son of Hades still had not moved from his spot on the bed and made no attempt to make himself at home.

"Of course it's women too! There were some amazing female warriors on the field and quite a few here, now." He continued to speak as he began to clear up the room. Opening the curtains, moving the chair from beside the bed to in the corner, wheeling in the basic medic cart. Nico watched in a trance as the Healer's hands raced over the objects on the cart like Leo did with his control board. Will picked up pieces and rearranged tools. He picked up a small plate from the second level of the cart and pulled a small lumpy bag from the third.

"Anyway, I'll need you for three days at least, you think you can handle at least three?" Will asked, starting to take little ambrosia squares out of the lumpy bag, unwrap them, and stack them on the plate. Nico didn't realize he asked the question until Will looked up expectantly and waited.

"I've slept longer than that." Nico blurted out, trying to break the awkward situation and only succeeding in making it worse. Will laughed and a thin blush creeped up on the pale boys face from embarassment.

Will continued to unwrap squares and said, "Of course you have, Death boy. And I surely hope you will again." Nico blinked at the statement, not sure of the meaning behind it.

"I mean, not that you sleeping for three days and only increasing my boredom is a good thing, but you need the rest and frankly, I feel like I need some too. Just saying, two days in the infirmary with no company can do things to people." Will continued as he finished unwrapping ambrosia and moved to pouring a small cup of nectar. He was talking to himself, but at the mention of no company, Nico blushed harder. He looked down at his converse and completely missed what Will said until the plate and cup were shoved into his hands.

"Eat up, Death boy! I don't have time to make and feed you a meal, so you get squares like everyone else." Will said with a grin as he forced the dishes into Nico's hands. He recovered quickly and guzzled down the drink, which sadly missed a specific taste but just held a sweetness. He wolfed down a few pieces of ambrosia before he felt himself begin to slip. The dishes were pulled out of his weak grip and two strong hands pushed Nico down on to the bed, a blanket was thrown over him a few seconds later. Just after Nico slipped into the world of dreams, the warmth of soft lips on his forehead chided him deeper into sleep. It was a kiss goodnight that made his dark dream a little lighter.