Chapter 14

It wasn't working. Will tried every method of waking someone he knew, but nothing worked. 

By the gods, nothing was working. 

And Nico had gone cold. And Nico had stopped flinching. 

Will sat, one hand gripping Nico's shoulder and the other rubbing his eyes as a few burning tears made it down once more. He had to save Nico, he had to heal him. What good was he if he couldn't save the person most important to him. 

"Nico-," his voice squeaked and he slowly reached up to take Nico's pulse again. 

The beat was faint when his fingers pressed on Nico's neck and even fainter as he continued to listen.

"No-," his voice squeaked again. "No!" This time it was louder, it echoed. He grabbed Nico's waist and pulled him closer, clutching him to his heart like he could give his own heartbeat to the boy. And he wished he could. Will dragged his nails down his shirt like he was tearing out his own heart. He pulled the fabric of his orange camp T and rubbed it fiercely down his face.

"I'm not letting you die, Nico!" he whispered harshly, pulling Nico's slumped body closer once more. "I will never let you die on me! You have so much more to live for! Friends and family and so much, just stay!" 

More burning tears, but they stopped quickly. Nico's pulse was still fading.

"Stay, Nico! Stay for Hazel and Frank! Stay for Percy and Annabeth and Piper and Jason! Stay for them, stay for yourself!" 

Nothing happened and time was running out for the pale boy that had ripped out Will's heart and thrown it away. But Will had never thought of it like that. Nico had every reason to keep his distance and Will had forced himself upon him. It was Will who had given Nico his heart, but it was also Will who never got one in return.

"Dammit Nico!" Will yelled, feeling for a pulse and finding none. "Damn it all Nico! STAY FOR ME!"

And with that last sentence, Will was screaming so loudly that it felt like his own life had been put into the sound. Like his soul was being carried through his voice. It wasn't a pretty noise, it wasn't a melody. The soul is a confused and angry thing that feels immense grief. It almost sounded like Will's own heart was being torn away. 

Then something incredible happened. Something that would have impressed the gods. 

Beautiful yellow light spread out from Will's body. It curled and lashed until it filled the room and the with a boom like thunder the room collapsed around them. The walls crumbled and the light continued to spread, out of the castle. Straight to the four people standing in awe as they watched Will solace crumble away the fortress around him. When the entire first floor wall had come down, the light quickly pulled back into Will and he collapsed. 

Just as the darkness took Will, one last touch of light curled around Nico's heart, and the beat started up again.