Chapter 21

Okay quick note! Sorry that I keep doing these but it's the only way I can tell you guys something and be sure you'll read it! Okay, so I finished the whole Percy Jackson series and I know the characters pretty well now. So I want to ask you guys (and please respond if you can) should I start a new and full character fanfic? Alright that's all, Cheers!

Will walked up with Nico all the way to the edge of the dance, where they stood, holding hands, and waiting for an appropriate time to jump in. Neither of them said a word, the moment was to fragile for words. So instead they stepped forward and started the slow steps around the floor.

Will, being taller, lead the dance. Nico didn't look too happy to be playing the girls part, but he got over it pretty quickly. They were both good dancers and kept up perfectly with the adults. Some people looked at them weirdly, or scowled, but Will was just watching Nico. He kept staring at his hand on Nico's waist and Nico's hand on his shoulder. It made his belly flip and flop in a totally uncoordinated way.

Nico looked much more comfortable. He was watching Will's face, looking for any signs of unease or distress. Seeing if he was going to react to all the negative attention they were attracting. But he stopped the search when Will met his eyes and smiled so warmly Nico felt like he had just been microwaved to the core.

It was the closest contact Nico had had since Jason's hug. And this was a lot longer than a hug. He wouldn't admit it but the butterflies still tortured his stomach. He didn't allow it to show on his face but every time he felt a shift in Will's hand and realized that his hand actually was on his waist the butterflies started doing the Macarena in his stomach.

They danced for the whole song, hand in hand, and when everyone clapped and the dancers walked off, they did too. Will didn't let go of Nico's hand and Nico didn't protest. He had decided to give himself this night with Will.

Will led Nico outside, where no one was talking or watching them. They walked down a small path through the trees and then sat down at a bench. Their hands stayed together, but both boys were running out of silence. Something had to be said.

"Will," Nico started, hating himself for breaking the silence but not knowing what else to do. They had a problem to resolve.

Will sighed and closed his eyes when he heard his name. When he opened them again he was staring right at Nico, looking at him and not through him like other people.

"Nico di Angelo."

That's all he said, just Nico's name. But it sent a shiver down Nico's spine.

"I need to know what you meant, Will," Nico said, gaining his strength with each word. "I want to know what you meant when you were talking to me." Will kept his gaze on Nico as he said, "That morning, I want to know what happened."

Will kept his eyes on Nico and his gaze was so intense Nico began to fidget under it. Finally Will spoke, but his gaze didn't waver.

"I meant what I said, Nico. Everything I've ever said to you has been the truth. I want to be your friend." Nico returned the gaze as he talked, careful not to look away or show weakness. "I want to be with you. I want to know everything you've every told anyone. I want to keep you safe."

Will leaned forward and his other hand landed behind Nico, so he was trapped underneath Will's arms and body on the bench.