Chapter Three:

Beginne am Anfang

A bell rang and cheers filled the air, Emilia's being the loudest, as the announcer, another kid, brought the victor's arm high in the air; it was Jonathan! Panting heavily from his fight, Jojo looked over at Emilia grinning widely at yet another victory. He was on a roll today with victories. Getting water, Jonathan readied himself for his next fight. It was against another kid by the name of Mark Watkin. However, as Jojo was about to step back in the ring to fight, the announcer began announcing a change in the fighter.

"Oh, it seems we have last-minute changes! A new fighter has appeared; it's the new kid! No one knows if he's good or bad, we'll just have to see!" Jonathan shared a confused look with Emilia. Was it Dio? That's the only other new kid that they knew of.

Everybody turned to get a look at who the new fighter was; it wasn't often that they got new fighters. As everybody turned it gave Emilia and Jonathan the perfect view to see who it was. It was Dio! Sitting on the grass, he tightened his boxing gloves with his mouth, smirking smugly at Jonathan. Getting up, Dio sauntered to the ring, his aura oozing with confidence. The boy's smirk said it all; he was going to win.

Facing off in the ring, both boys held their hands up waiting for the signal to start. Both of them were more than determined to beat the other. For Jonathan, he wanted to win to prove to himself that he can beat Dio at least with one thing. For Dio, he wanted to beat him at yet another thing and dig him further into the deep despair of loneliness. Then all he would have to do is take Emilia away from Jojo as well.

Most of the cheers were for Jonathan; they were unsure of how the new kid would do.

The bell sounded, signaling the start of the match. Jonathan threw the first punch, choosing the offensive position, which made Dio choose defensive. A flurry of punches was sent toward the blond, the power almost surprising the boy. Although he would never admit it aloud, Dio was surprised with Jojo's fighting skill; it was nothing that he couldn't handle, though.

Although Jonathan was fast at sending his punches, Dio smoothly avoided all of them, swiftly dodging to the side each time. The second he caught an opening, he stepped in between Jojo's spread legs, sending a jarring punch to his stomach. Jonathan doubled over in pain from the blow, and Dio wasted no time in sending another reeling punch toward his face. Blood spurted from his nose as his head was forced to the side. To finish him off, Dio shoved his thumb in his eye.

The bell went off, sounding the victor; it was Dio. As the kids crowded around the new victor, they rooted for him, amazed by his unique fighting skill. They'd never seen anyone fight like that before. Meanwhile, Jonathan was left writhing on the ground in pain. The only one who cared to check on him was Emilia, who immediately rushed over to him, checking over him frantically.

"Are you okay, Jojo?" Emilia asked worriedly as she cleaned the blood from his face with her handkerchief. Noticing the fine stream of blood flowing from his closed eye, the girl became even more distressed. "What happened to your eye?!" From her position in the stands, it was difficult to see the entire fight, but she could conclude what most likely occurred.

Jonathan waved her off, instead opting to shout at Dio. "Why do that on purpose?!" The boy never answered, too busy telling everybody about his new fighting technique. It seemed like Jojo and Emilia were in a league of their own, and that league was below the others.

After he was ignored, Jonathan finally relented to let Emilia check over him. "That was a dirty move he pulled." The girl couldn't help but spit out, glaring over toward Dio, who was actively telling the others how he beat Jojo.

Gently pulling his injured eye open, Emilia was relieved to find that it looked mostly fine, albeit swelling a bit. It was watering a lot too, but that was to be expected after getting a thumb shoved into his socket.