She raised hers, hesitantly at first, and gently tapped the edge of her cup to his.

"And you threw the dragon from your bedroom window? Oh, to have seen that!" His emerald eyes were alight with mirth, matching the brightness of his smile. "You truly do not fear him, do you M'lady?"

"I feel no reason to," she said. "I defeated him once and if need be, I will do it again."

He drank the remainder of his tea and set down the cup. "I'm afraid tea simply is not suited for a proper toast." He stood and held out his hand. "I've hardly been a gracious host. Allow me the pleasure of your company while I have it."

She stood as she lowered her cup to the floral saucer. "I would be honored." She walked around the table and together they strolled from the meeting chamber and into the hall.

"You've grown into a fine woman, Elery." Gaidel moved in step with her, neither pulling ahead nor falling behind. "Your parents spoke of you often; you were their kingdom's most precious jewel."

"I am no jewel," she said. "I am a sword."

He chuckled and turned his head. "A roseate blade, then. One soon to dig into the chest of our enemy. But let us not speak of such things. You've little time left here, yes?"

"It seems my eagerness to move on is not well-concealed."

"Perfectly understandable, though I'd hoped you would stay until the troops returned."

"My presence is best given to my comrades," Elery replied as they passed a stone archway wrapped in silver glass vines. "There's little I can do by riding with your troops. I wish to leave Jesset in command of them."

"You would have me give up my right hand?"

"I would."

He considered this as they walked. His silence stretched on as they descended the stairs to take the northern hallway. "Jesset is a fine soldier and I have faith that she would serve well in this task. You have my blessing to hand your orders down to her. I shall ensure that the soldiers follow her every word as if you speak through her."

She nodded her thanks and once again they fell silent until he led her outside to a sprawling garden. They stopped under the overhang. The rain still fell heavy, casting a dismal gray curtain over the vibrancy of the flowers and trees. The calming sound of the fountain in the center was hushed under the patter of the downpour and the changelings shifted and turned restlessly within their pedestal-mounted esper jars.

Gaidel turned and gestured to a nearby servant. "Bring us wine. Something befitting our guest."

"Yes, M'lord." The woman bowed and hurried away.

"What are your plans, Elery?" he asked as he turned back to look at the garden.

"I...I'm sorry, I thought I—"

"Not your battle plans. Your plans. What does your future hold?"

She frowned. "No one knows the future, M'lord."

"Except those sure of victory." He turned to face her. He took her hands. "And you are sure—I can tell by the fire in your eyes. So then, tell me of your plans. When this enemy is dust before us and your kingdom is avenged...What shall you become?"

"Whatever I must," she replied. "I will become the carpenter's hammer or the smith's fire. I will become the pillar which holds my crumbling kingdom aloft if I must. Anything to rebuild what was taken. Whatever is required to give my people a home again."

He smiled. "Were such words to escape the mouths of even my closest friends, I might consider them a political statement. I cannot say such a thing of you, however." He squeezed her hands before releasing them.