Chapter 43

The next morning they were off to DC. Spencer drove down the highway, Amelia dj'ing the car ride. Whenever he could, Spencer would sneak glances at Amelia next to him. She had on black sweatpants and one of his shirts, an old orange long sleeve thermal with jack-o-lanterns on it. Her hair sat in a loose bun on her head, curls spilling everywhere. Her converse-clad feet were on the dashboard, toes tapping. She sang along with the song:

Baby, I love you
I wanna scream it to you
Just in case I haven't been clear
Or if you were ever wonderin'

All of a sudden, Spencer swerved slightly, getting a word of caution from Amelia. She went back to singing along to the song, but Spencer couldn't focus. How had he forgotten that she'd casually said 'love you'? 

"So much for eidetic memory" he muttered to himself.

"Hm?" Amelia asked from beside him.

"Oh, nothing, just this traffic."

"At least we're almost there."

Later that evening, Spencer sat on the couch while Amelia hopped in the shower first so her hair would have time to air dry. Pacing his kitchen, he once again thought about Amelia's words. 'Why am I overreacting?' He kept asking himself. 'It was just a slip of the tongue, but.. it's because you want it to be true.' The realization dawned on him. He wanted Amelia to have meant what she said because he loved her, too.

She walked out of his bedroom, towel wrapped around her body. Her hair hung wet down her back, droplets of water falling behind her as she walked toward the kitchen. The smell of her coconut conditioner wafted toward Spencer. He walked over to her and wrapped one arm around her, the other hand tilting her chin up to meet his lips.

He kissed her, gently at first, before he felt her hands wrap themselves in his hair. He parted her lips slightly, deepening the kiss, before pulling back. He looked at her, eyes wide and lips full.

"What was that for?" She asked.

He grinned and turned to head into the bathroom. "Just for, being you."

She laughed and went about making two cups of coffee. She heard him start the shower and quickly slipped into sweats, not wanting to get dressed quite yet. Once he was out of the bathroom she handed him the mug and shoo'd him away so she could get ready.

While her hair air dried she assessed herself in the mirror and went to work. She swiped dark grey and black eyeshadow across her lids, creating a smoky eye. As she went to apply eyeliner her phone rang, startling her. Realizing it was just an unknown number she denied it and put it back down, attempting her eyeliner once again. Moments later, another unknown number called.

"Stupid spam" she mumbled, silencing her phone completely. 

She finished applying mascara, then her foundation and blush. She opted for chapstick to tone the look down, and then set about getting dressed. She slipped into the dress her aunt had given her, and slipped into a pair of sheer tights and black heeled boots. She looked in the mirror, smoothing the wrinkles with her hands, and took a deep breath. She hadn't dressed up so much in months, and she felt a little ridiculous. 'If I'm overdressed, we're leaving' she thought to herself as she walked out of the bathroom.

She grabbed her phone, then looked around Spencer's room for her purse. Not seeing it she opened the door to the living room, glancing around Spencer on the couch. 

"Have you seen my purse?" She asked as she started searching the desk and shelves. Not hearing a response, she turned to face Spencer.

He sat on the couch, lips parted, staring at her in a way she'd never seen. Spencer stood up and walked toward her, stopping a few feet away. He'd never seen Amelia dressed up before, and could barely believe that she could get even more beautiful.

She stood a few inches taller than normal thanks to her heeled boots, his eyes tracing up her legs. She wore a dark green slip dress, silk he thought, that stopped below her knee. The dress wasn't tight necessarily, but hugged in at her waist causing it to lay against her curves. The thin straps rested gently on her shoulders, the neck line curving and exposing the top of her breasts.

"Jesus, Amelia" he said breathlessly.

Amelia felt silly and crossed her arm across her stomach. "It's funny how vintage styles are back in huh?" She gave a half-hearted laugh. "Am I too dressed up? I can change, I brought-"

Spencer shut her up with a kiss, urgently pressing his lips to hers. She was surprised, but kissed him back. She breathed in his cologne, and tasted the coffee she had made earlier. She grabbed his suit jacket in both hands, pulling him into her. He wound his hands in her hair behind her head, tugging gently and causing her to moan into his mouth. 

"We're gonna be late" she mumbled as she pushed his jacket off, not really caring.

"I know" Spencer replied, grabbing a fistful of her dress and spinning her around to face the wall.

An hour or so later, Spencer pulled his car into Rossi's driveway.

"Spence, you've gotta be fucking kidding me" Amelia said, staring at the home in front of her. "This isn't a house, this is a mansion."

Spencer laughed at her reaction, thinking that he should've warned her. He watched as she flipped the sun visor of his car down, looking in the mirror.

"You did a number on my hair" she mumbled, trying to tame her curls.

He leaned over and pressed a kiss under her ear. "Could have left something more visible if you'd have liked.." He whispered, gently nibbling on her neck. She shoved him away with a laugh. 

"Na uh, not till later mister" she said, giving him a stern glance. He leaned back and watched her, realizing she was nervous.

"You know they love you, Lee."

She fretted with her hair some more before closing the mirror. "I know.. I just, worry sometimes."

"About what?" He turned in his seat to face her.

"It's dumb, I dunno."

He gripped her chin with his hand. "Lee.." She cast her eyes downwards.

"Sometimes I just worry I'm not good enough for you and that everyone sees it except us." She said it so softly it made his heart ache, that she would ever feel the need to compare them in such a way. "You're brilliant, Spence, and so accomplished, and I just.. what? Have a useless bachelor's degree and an entry level job? A 25 year old who is just now moving out of her dads house? I can't e-"

"Amelia."

"-and if I could I'd-"

He grabbed her shoulders in both hands, causing her to turn in her seat. 

"Amelia" he said softly, "that stuff? The degrees, jobs, so-called accomplishments, they have nothing to do with you, or with us. You're the most hard working, driven person I know, not to mention your level of empathy astounds me more every day. We're compatible, Lee, and I l-" he cut himself off short, catching himself. "I couldn't imagine myself being with anyone else." 

She looked at him, reading his face. He put a hand up to the side of her face and she leaned into it. 

"I love you, Spencer" she said softly. 

Spencer's face flushed and she saw his eyes grow slightly wider. As he opened his mouth to respond..

"There you guys are! What the hell is taking you so long?" Derek slapped the hood of the car, scarring the crap out of them both. 

Amelia looked away quickly before clearing her throat.

"I, uh, forget it."

"Lee, let's-"

She opened her door and got out before she could say anything else, following Derek towards the house.

a/n

and there it isssssss. also I loved writing this chapter