He left without another word and I held back an urge to swear.   I pulled on my bag wanting to get some groceries before the shop shut. 

Getting home I struggled with the bags from shopping.   I had decided earlier today I would make some meals for Mr Slade to freeze and some goodies to take to try and bribe the new team. 

I began with Mr Slade and pulled out some small plastic freezer boxes.    I made lasagne and used the sauce for bolognaise also.    Then I put a lamb stew in the pressure cooker which would do three portions.  Finally I made a curry, shepherds pie and chicken casserole.  

I'd been in the kitchen three hours and hadn't eaten.   I placed three steaks in the oven for tonight with jacket potatoes.   Most of the food sat cooling whilst the pressure cooker had ten minutes left.  

I mixed a bowl of cookie mix one with chocolate chip and one with coconut and lime.    I mixed a second bowl with brownie mix.     I pulled out the baking sheets and laid out the cookies and brownies.   

The pressure cookie finished and I switched it off.    The steam had a further twenty minutes so I rang upstairs had a quick shower and changed to my pj's. 

I placed the steak and potato with a little salad on three plates.   I covered two plates whilst placing mine on a tray.  I put the cookies and brownies in the oven.   Grabbing a water I took my food to eat in the den.  

Placing on a film I started my meal.   I was shocked it was 9.15pm and I was only just eating.   Once finished I paused the film, going back to the kitchen I cleaned up and started to fill the dishwasher.   I moved all the meals into containers and counted 2 lasagne, bolognaise, 2 lamb stew, shepherds pie, 2 curry and 2 chicken casserole together with tonight's meal. 

Taking out the cookies and brownies I put them to one side.    I went into the utility and found a large bag and started to fill it with the meals.   Going into the office I got a piece of paper and wrote a note for Mr Slade. 

Mr Slade,

I have missed our chats, sorry I've been so busy lately.    My Dad and I have been asked to be superman's replacement for a while so we are going away.   I have made some meals because Audrey would hate to see you suffer. 

I will phone you to check you haven't let me down and you are looking after yourself.   Remember only one cookie or brownie a day.   I don't want to see my handsome neighbour loose his trim waistline. 

Love and hugs. 

Neighbourhood supporter

Mr Slade at first had hated any offers of help and my meals would just appear.   He knew it was me and we never spoke of it but I would phone every now and then and ask how he was.  Audrey and I had been close and I hated to see his pain after she passed away.   I hope the little things I did helped. 

Going back into the kitchen I boxed some cookies and brownies for him putting the remainder into another box for us to take and leaving a plate on the island with a few for Phil.   I tied the note for Mr Slade to the bag as Phil came in. 

"Hey honey" he said coming into the kitchen.   "It smells lovely in here"

"I'll warm your food if you pop this bag to Mr Slade" Phil's eyes widened and a bright smile appeared. 

"Of course.   You are an angel" he said grabbing the bag and disappearing.   I sorted his food and laid the tray I had just been using.    I included a coffee the plate of treats and had it ready as he returned. 

He followed me into the den to watch some TV.   After he finished eating he disappeared and then came back with a couple of mugs.   I looked up at him "It's a bit late for coffee Dad" I said.

"Hot chocolate" he said smiled and taking a seat.  "I was thinking of leaving after lunch tomorrow can you be ready.  Academy are informing the Hudson team of our arrival.   I tried to phone Matt but it went to answer machine so I've asked him to call me" Dad explained. 

"Yes that's fine I've no plans so may have a little lie in and then pack" I said.  We settled down with the rest of the film. 

I spent the following morning packing in between making toffee fudge, shortbread biscuits and flapjacks.   I couldn't help but make things when I was nervous.

Once packed I placed the three bags downstairs and had a nice hot bath.    I wondered if I could start making my sweet things and sell them online.  I thought I would talk things through with Phil after this mission.   Maybe I could use the Hudson team as my guinea pigs. 

I wanted to be comfortable for my journey so I chose leggings and an off the shoulder sweatshirt and my vans.   After dressing I took a book to the back porch.   Dad had decided to take his SUV to Montana in case it was handy to have another large car.  I have been considering buying a new car as mine has been faulty three times this last few months.  

Instead of reading I got my tablet from my bag and started searching for cars.   I had no idea what I wanted.   This should be something I research so I switched off my tablet and picked my book back up. 

Phil came home after an hour with some burgers I put down my book as I self the delicious aroma. After eating I cleaned up whilst Phil changed and then we loaded the car. As we got into the car my nerves bubbled up but I pushed them away. It's the children that's important not whether these men liked me. Let's be honest they are gonna hate me and fight the fact that Phil and I have been sent to help. Great.