|38|

I plop down onto my bed, closing my eyes once my head settles down on the soft sheets. I clench my jaw, trying to focus on anything that might keep me grounded. As past thoughts and memories start to flick through my head, I ran my fingers through my hair before dropping both of my arms down to my sides. 

Old memories from my Imperial days start to flow into my head, making my heart race and my breath quicken. The rough training and traumatizing punishments I had gone through were replaying in my head and I couldn't stop them at this point. 

My teeth grit against each other as I tried to shove the memories out of my head, but it doesn't work. A single tear slips from my eye and I bite my bottom lip, forcing myself to stop and just take a deep breath. 

Get a goddamn grip on yourself, Dameron.

My bedroom door slowly opens up and I quickly wipe away the single tear from my skin as I jolted up into an upright position. I shift around, trying to make it look like sitting in the dark on my own was a perfectly normal thing to do. 

"You alright?" Mando asks, slowly shutting the door behind him so our conversation would be our own. The light had flooded from the main hangar slowly disappears as the door locks into place. I sigh and lay back down on the plushy mattress that was resting underneath me. "What're you thinking about?"

"My past, my training, a little bit of Adrienne," I mutter, my words barely meeting a low whisper. He nods and then sits down next to me, the mattress dipping down with his weight. "She still hasn't messaged back yet."

"I'm sure she will soon. She seems like a woman of her word from what I experienced," he reassures, nodding his head a bit. I shake my head and turn onto my side, tucking my arm under my head. He scoots a little closer to me, tucking his body right where my body bent. I scoot a little closer to him, pressing the front of my torso and thighs to his back. 

"And if she doesn't?"

"She will," he says, resting his hand in the dip of my waist. I hold my breath for a moment as I felt his thumb gently graze over my hip. 

"I can't teach the kid," I whisper, hiding the slight quiver in my voice as I changed the subject, "Not after how my own training went. I don't want to make the same mistakes as the man who trained me did. I don't want him to go through the same shit I had to go through- What if I make the same mistakes and absolutely fuck over his life-"

"You won't," he says, interrupting me before I could continue on with my rambling. I take a deep breath in an attempt to calm myself down, but it doesn't work, so he keeps talking. "If I know you as well as I think I know you, then I think you're going to be a great teacher. You would never intentionally do something to hurt the kid."

I sniffle a bit, trying to hold everything in, but a few rogue tears slowly flow from the corners of my eyes. I keep my cries silent until I could barely contain them anymore. My first quiet sob racks my body and my fingers cinch the thin sheets up in my fists. 

"Hey," he whispers to me, gently squeezing my hip once, but I don't respond. 

Mando slowly pulls me up into a seated position, letting me rest my head on his armored shoulders. Tears start flowing from my eyes at a rapid rate and my body racks with a few heavy jolts. He slowly wraps his arms around my waist, pulling me closer to him to hold me against his armored body. Another sob escapes me, but I quickly shake my head, slapping a hand over my mouth to muffle myself. 

"It's okay," he mutters to me, his words quiet and comforting. I nod my head as another sob racks my chest, but I muffle it with my hand. I keep my hand over my mouth to keep myself quiet, but he reaches and slowly peels my hand away from my have, holding it in his own. "It's going to be okay, Mae."