Chapter 18: Lingering Doubts

Start from the beginning

Sungjae could only sigh. He can't blame her at all. But he had already set his heart that whatever Joy's response would be with his confession, he will still pursue her.

The drive home was too quiet. Joy just glued her eyes to her side window, looking at all the buildings that they are passing by as if it amused her. In reality though, she just can't bring herself to look at Sungjae.

Sungjae noticed this and offered to just have dinner in his rented apartment in Busan. It would be more awkward with having more people around to deal with if they would eat outside.

"I'll make us some ramyeon, okay? Just rest at the couch. This will be quick" Sungjae uttered as soon as they arrived at his apartment. He placed his belongings at the side table and immediately proceeded to the kitchen.

"Ne" Joy awkwardly said. She was thinking of ways to get through this dinner as soon as possible to avoid any more unnecessary scenarios between her and Sungjae. Today was just too overwhelming already- his surprise visit at her workplace, their skinships at the peak and his sudden confession... it's just too much to take in right now.

Joy's thoughts though were interrupted when she heard Sungjae's phone ring. She really didn't want to take a look but curiosity got the best of her.

SoHyun calling...

And there it was again, that pang in her chest. She quickly darted her eyes away from Sungjae's phone and bit her lip.

No. Stop letting them affect you. Joy thought to herself.

Soon enough, Sungjae came to the living room after a couple more rings from his phone. "Aish I told my hyungs not to disturb me when I'm in Busan..." he said with a slight irritation in his voice. He was about to cancel the call when he realized it wasn't from his hyungs.

Joy couldn't quite understand the change of expression in Sungjae's face when he read the caller ID. Well... she didn't want to, anyways. Sungjae noticed Joy's uneasiness and decided to take the call outside. "I...um... will just take this. I'll be quick, promise" he said before heading out. Joy was then left there in the living room overthinking once again.

Why is he even here when he's still with that SoHyun?! Is this some sort of joke? Joy thought.

True enough,Sungjae was back in just three minutes or so. "Sooyoung-ah, let's eat now?" he smiled, trying to ignore the growing negative aura between them.

"I'm not hungry. Go eat so you can drive me back at Wendy's already" Joy tried to hide her irritation. Why was she like this anyways? She doesn't know as well.

But Sungjae knew. He went closer to the lady and knelt before her. "You should eat, too. I don't want to keep my baby hungry" he softly smiled while holding Joy's hand.

Taken aback, Joy could feel the heat rushing to her cheeks. Oh how she hates how he can easily affect her. "F-fine" she could only say while immediately removing her hand from Sungjae.

During dinner, Joy was still so quiet. SoHyun just had to add to her overwhelming feelings earlier. She looked at her bowl and just kept mixing her noodles with her chopsticks.

"Sooyoung-ah, ahhh"

Joy's eyes quickly went up to meet Sungjae who was now trying to give her a mouthful of noodles without her having the time to process it. She had no choice but to swallow the food.

"Aegi. Do I have to feed you more?" Sungjae teased.

"A-ani!" Joy knitted her eyebrows and covered half of her face in embarrassment.