= Chapter 9 *Winter Break Bonus* =

Dear Aspen,

I'm terribly sorry, but something has come up at the Ministry and I need you to stay at Hogwarts with your friends for the winter. I hope you receive this soon.

Love you, Dad

Aspen read her father's writing for the fifth time, wondering what has come up at the Ministry of Magic. Her father worked there, in the Department of International Magical Cooperation. A big job, for sure. The candlelight flickered as she stared out the icy window, icicles hanging from the stone ledge.

"Ugh, you're staying here too?" The familiar, snarky voice said behind her. Ember sat straddling a chair behind her, smirking as usual. 

"Unfortunately." Aspen said blandly.

"Well, you might as well tell me what happened, you're almost always at home for the winter holidays." Ember's voice softened, but still retained its arrogant tone.

"Something came up at the Ministry, read it yourself if you're so nosy." Aspen said, getting up from her desk, crumpling the piece of paper into a ball and throwing it at Ember, who caught it mid air.

"He's pretty blunt on words, isn't he?" Ember commented, raising a brow.

"I guess."

"What's got you down, love?" Ember asked, watching as Aspen paced around the room, furiously scribbling words down on a small piece of parchment.

"Nothing."

Aspen reached her arm out for Liberty, who responded quickly, gliding over to perch on her arm. She tied the small slip of paper to Liberty's leg, stroking her soft, feathery head.

"And now you're blunt on words." Ember said, facing Aspen with a frown.

"Well excuse me if I don't want to be interrogated by the one girl who tormented me for the past two years." Aspen snapped, walking out of the dorm, leaving Ember behind.

---------------

"What does the Wolfsbane Potion cure?" Hermione quizzed.

"Lycanthropy." Dove answered, flipping the page of her novel.

"Good. Now what is Amortentia used for."

"Amortentia is an advanced love potion, but isn't used to create actual love. Instead, you can smell the item or person you are attracted to or love." Dove answered again, flipping yet another page.

"Okay, those are all the questions." Hermione said, closing her leathery notebook as Dove bookmarked her novel, closing it gently.

Hermione gave Dove a weak smile, then turned to leave, exiting the library. Dove laughed as Twilight, her black and white barn owl, began to fiddle with the papers on the desk.

"You're quite mischievous now, aren't you?" Dove asked, though she already knew the answer.

Dove had adopted Twilight because of her spunk. She had always been the more rambunctious of her clutch.

"Hey Dove!" Harry said, walking up quickly behind her.

"Harry! You're staying too?" Dove whispered, noting they were in the library.

"No, I just had to say goodbye before I left. I'm leaving with Ron." He answered, watching Dove blush as he spoke softly.

"Harry I- goodbye." She waved cheekily.

Harry smiled, leaning down to peck her on the cheek, turning Dove a vibrant rose color.

"See you later, then." Harry said, also blushing madly.

"Mhm," Was all Dove could stifle.

---------------

"Um... Aspen, what are you doing here. Shouldn't you be with your dad, it is winter break after all." Lillian stated, jogging to catch up with her friend, who was headed towards the courtyard.

"Ministry stuff. Besides, you should be home as well." Aspen said flatly, not daring to look at her friend. Liberty perched on her shoulder, screeching in excitement to finally spread her wings and fly.

"I'm here... reasons." Lillian said, turning away and blushing.

"Lillian..."

"Okok, fine! Cedric." She said, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Cedric! That fifth year Hufflepuff, really?" Aspen said, slowing to a halt.

"Judgie much?"Lillian sighed, continuing to walk into the courtyard, following Aspen.

Aspen nudged Liberty, who spread her wings and ruffled her feathers, she soared into the open sky, which was now dropping snowflakes freely.

Aspen shook her head at the statement that her friend was probably dating a filthy Hufflepuff.

"And who are you dating, huh? A stuck up pureblood with a bad attitude." Lillian snapped, obviously offended.

Aspen ignored her, walking away towards the dorms. She hadn't talked to anyone about... the kiss and had avoided Draco until he went home for winter break.

---------------

 She stared at the large window panes, catching a glimpse of the giant squid that often lurked by, or a grindylow. Her long, black hair was tied up in a messy braid, tapping her chin with the feather of her quill as she thought of the answer for the Transfiguration homework.

"Hey Ember."

"Oh... Aspen."

"What are you up to?" Aspen asked, shrugging her book bag off her shoulders in a black leather chair near the fireplace.

"Homework." She shrugged, looking back towards the window.

"Mind if I join?" Aspen asked, taking her Transfiguration book, a piece of parchment, and a raven feather quill out of her book bag, sitting down across from Ember on the window's ledge.

"Sure."