The sounds of footsteps against gravel, and then a door slamming shut filled Zach's ears. Everything felt so.... muffled to him though, like his hearing had gone down and he was going deaf. The yelling of his friends were akin to white noise on an old TV; his vision was so blurry that he couldn't make out anything that was in front of him; and worst of all, all he could feel was the large tear in his leg from the walker.

He could make out a small voice, sounded heavy and deep. He couldn't recognize whose voice it was though. All he could hear was "Zach! Zach stay awake! Don't knock out, stay awake! We're gonna get you patched up, just stay awake!"

Zach tried to listen to the voice, he tried to keep his eyes open and stay conscious. His body couldn't stop his eyes from drooping though, despite his mind fighting to stay awake. Zach tried to speak words to the others, but his lips were only able to muster small whimpers and gasps.

He tried to say Daryls name, he didn't know why. He just... felt like he wanted Daryl, no, he needed Daryl. He reached his hand up a bit, coughing up a bit of blood as he tried to speak.

"D- ar-..yl..." Zach gasps out, voice raspy and choked from all the blood in his mouth. "D-... D- aryl..."

He heard muffled responses, nome being anywhere near comprehensible enough for Zach to understand them. Fuck, that walker did a massive number on him for him to be this messed up.

Zach hoped they said something about Daryl though, maybe a few comforting words about how Daryl would be by his side soon or how Daryl would be okay and that he didn't get hurt. None of that mattered in Zach's muffled mind, he just wanted Daryl.

Why did he want him though? He only knew Daryl for a few weeks, and they both knew they hadn't developed that close of a bond yet. Or... maybe they had? And Zach just didn't know?

His head turned to glance out the window, trying to spot Daryl on his motorcycle outside of the car. Zach saw a blur of black through the car window, eyelids fluttering as they tried to make out the image. Was that Daryl? Or was that something else? He hoped it was Daryl, he felt safer with the man driving beside him.

Zach's vision was clouded with black spots dancing in front of his eyes, like a fog was covering his face and rendering his sight useless. He couldn't move any limbs anymore, or was he and he just hadn't noticed?

Shit, was he blacking out? He can't black out, fuck, not right now! Stay up, Zach, stay up!

The words repeated multiple times in his mind, body fighting to stay conscious long enough for the rest of the scavengers to get back to the prison. It seemed like a battle he was losing though, as his mind and eyes just got more and more foggy.

His eyelashes fluttered as he tried make out what was going on in front of him, but all that he saw were blurry shapes and black spots.

Zach's body felt like it couldn't stay awake, no matter how hard he forced it to stay conscious. It just wouldn't work. God, he hoped he wasn't turning and his mind was just passing it off as a lack of consciousness. Or maybe he was dying? Were dying and turning basically the same thing?

His hearing rang loudly as voices continued to echo and scream through the car, mind trying to decipher the muffled yells of his friends but seemingly unable too.

Maybe he was dying, maybe these were his last moments with his friends. The last moments he'll ever have with them, and its in a car driving as fast as possible with people screaming at each other.