' No Regrets '

(requested by my close friend, Snafu! He got me to watch Season 4 Episode 1 of The Walking Dead so we could geek about the hardcore (yet minor) sexual tension between Kyle Gallner's character Zach and Daryl. Thanks for dragging me into that, Snaf!)

The shelves heavy weight caused pain on Zach's hands, palms turning white from the heavy pressure weighing down onto them. His lips pursed and teeth clenched as he pushed his own weight against it, trying to lift the damn thing up so the others could pull Bob out to safety.

Daryl dashed over to help the college student, his strength plus Zach's being enough to get Bob out. The medic gave a brief 'thank you' before the others called to them, screaming and yelling to get out of there while they did their best to fight off walkers that got to close.

Bob dashed for the others, calling out to both Daryl and Zach to follow with a beckoning hand. A piece of the celling fell down close to where Bob was trapped underneath the shelves, a zombie right on top of it and reaching out to grab at a unnerved survivor.

Zach watched as Daryl began to follow, his feet pressing against the floor to do the same with the older man. He slipped though, the trip caused by a rotting hand snagging onto his ankle. Zach gasped an toppled over, falling onto his stomach with a rough grunt.

"DARYL!!!" He shouted for the man, reaching his hand out. "DARYL HELP!"

Zach promptly screamed when he felt a pair of sharp and nasty teeth cut through his jeans and into his leg. His eyes widened and his head threw back when he felt the new and horrifying pain in his leg, his scream still echoing throughout the small store.

His head turned over his shoulder to view the walker gnawing into his leg, decaying hands wrapped around the limb so Zach couldn't pull away easily. Tears began to fill his eyes as his brain came to the realization that he was being bitten by a walker.

Shit.

Shit shit shit shit shit shit shit.

He couldn't move, why couldn't he move? He had to fight back against it, but his body wouldn't budge. He couldn't feel any movement in his body, no, only the pain in his leg as the walker ripped the flesh off of it.

Zach watched with wide blown eyes as warm blood pooled underneath his leg, along with bits of flesh and small pebbles of rubble that fell from the celling. His fight or flight wasn't kicking in, he just stood still.

That is, until a boot came forward and slammed into the walkers skull, a sickening crunch following from the impact. The walker fell backwards from the brute strength administered to its head, groaning in a walkers usual raspy voice.

Zach let out a small shriek, the walkers fall back had pulled a strip of flesh off of his leg due to its teeth still being clamped around his skin.

A pair of arms lifted Zach's weakened body up and hoisted him into a bridal hold, a quick glance up revealing it to be Daryl.

Zach panted, eyes glazed over with tears and dulled with pain in them. His peripheral vision started to fade, the edges of his view fading into black as his body tried to comprehend what was happening.

He heard muffled screaming and gunshots in the background, probably the others ordering each other around and shooting at the walkers.