Part 57: Eastwatch

Eastwatch-by-the-Sea had been destroyed along with part of the Wall during the White Walker invasion, but even if the damage to the ancient ice bulwark could not be repaired, Jon Snow had the fortress and harbor restored.

The Night's Watch obtained most of its supplies from this port and most of the recruits arrived here, even if Jon himself had once traveled to the Wall via the kingsroad. Now, however, the Imperial sea blockade had interrupted the connection to the ports of Westeros.

It so happened that just as the Lord Commander was visiting Eastwatch, the Imperial dromone 'Silver Queen' was anchored there to take in fresh drinking water. So Jon invited the captain to the fortress commandant's solar for a cup of spiced wine.

"The Empire respects the neutrality of the Night's Watch, Lord Snow", said Captain Wendello, a fat Qartheen with pale skin. He wore a light gray uniform and a blue coat. "Even so, we will not let your ships through to the ports of Westeros. We make no exceptions to our blockade. Believe me, the Summer Isles trade captains are at least as annoyed as you are."

"Then recruits and supplies can only reach us via the kingsroad", said Jon. "It is much more difficult than the sea route."

The Qartheen sipped his wine. "The sea route to Hardhome is still open to you, as are the ports of the Empire and Braavos. There you can buy everything you need. And the recruits..." Wendello snorted. "If it were up to me, the Imperial Navy would help transport them north. Every Westerosi who takes the black is one less who gets in our way when we finish these measly Seven Kingdoms."

"Six Kingdoms", Jon corrected him. "The North is now independent."

"Anyway. We have our orders from Grand Admiral Saan and he has his orders from Empress Daenerys. Complain to Her Majesty." The way he looked at Jon showed that he knew exactly what had happened between him and Dany.

The Lord Commander changed the subject. "Have you heard any news from Queen Sansa and Princess Arya, Captain?", he wanted to know.

"Your sisters are well, as far as I know, and are being more closely guarded than the Imperial Treasury." The Imperial captain gave Jon a meaningful grin. "If any wannabe heroes try to free the ladies, they won't get very far. As I heard recently, Lord Gendry Baratheon has recovered from his injuries, if that interests you."

"Thank you", Jon replied. He wondered if the man's arrogance was typical of Imperial officers.

After Wendello returned to the 'Silver Queen', Jon also got ready to leave. He had made a decision. It was probably only a matter of time before the Empire would advance against King Landing in full force. Whatever happened then, Jon was determined to be with his last surviving brother when the hammer fell.

And so the Lord Commander set out on the long journey south.