Chapter 16: Mistake

Allie's POV:

When we get to the dance, it's in full swing. Seeing all these people almost makes me nervous, but I know when the guys get here everything will be fine. We walk up to the stage where Flynn is DJ-ing and she motions for us to go around to the side of the stage. 

We do as instructed and when we get up there Flynn is waiting for us. "Oh my gosh! You both look amazing!" She says. We just laugh and go in for a group hug. "Thank, they're our mom's." I say. "I'm gonna take over, is that ok?" Julie asks. Flynn nods and she goes out to the DJ stand. 

"You know, your mom would have loved that you wore that." She tells me. I smile and nod. "I know." Suddenly she starts looking around. She smiles and tosses her hair behind her shoulder. "Are the guys here?" She asks. I smile and shake my head. 

"No, but they will be. Luke promised." I say. She nods, grinning. "Ok, well, I'm gonna go help Julie out. Let me know when they get here and you can go on." She says. I nod and she heads on the stage. I grip the projector in my hand and then I wait. 

A little while later Flynn and Julie are hyping the crowd up. "Is everybody ready to see Allie and the Phantoms?" Julie calls out. Everyone cheers. "Great! Keep that fire cause that's later. We're a bit behind schedule, but don't worry, just enjoy these mind blowing beats!" Flynn says.

She starts the music again. Julie runs over to me while Flynn continues to DJ. "Allie and the Phantoms?" I ask. "It was Flynn's idea. She had spare time in French class. Oh, and you better like it because she's already registered it on all social media platforms." She tells me. I laugh. 

"I love it, but I would love it even more if the actual phantoms were here." I say. Suddenly her eyes widen and she points behind me. I turn and see Nick coming towards me. "Hey! Nick. Jules look, it's...Nick." I turn to see her gone. Typical. "Thanks for the introduction." He laughs. 

I just chuckle nervously. "So, you made it." I state. "Wouldn't miss it. The truth is, I can't wait to see you play again. Your song has been stuck in my head for weeks." He tells me. I blush at this. That's when Carrie approaches us. "I can't tell if the crowd is getting restless or bored. 

Never a good sign. Oh hi Allie. Did you get a new bag?" She asks. I look down at the projector in my hand. "Uh, no. It's actually my hologram projector. Just did a little upgrade." I say. "Oh, so simple. You know, I was expecting something a little more...sophisticated." She says. 

"It's what's on the inside that counts." I say. She just laughs. "Yeah, that's what a lot of people have to tell themselves." She says. She taps Nick on the shoulder. "Come on Nick." With that she walks away. He just gives me a reassuring smile before following after her. 

Sighing I run a hand through my hair. I take out my phone and check the time. 9:15. Where are they? I shake my head. They'll be here. Luke promised. With that I sit and I wait. They'll be here. They have to be. I sit and I wait. And wait. And wait. 

I check my watch for what feels like the hundredth time. 11:00. Flynn comes over. "I can only stall for so long. It's 11 o'clock. I think you should just play it by yourself. You'll still be amazing." She says. "You saw me last time, I can't play without them. They'll be here." I tell her. 

She just sighs and walks back on stage. "Issues?" A voice says behind me. I look up and see Nick. "Uh, yeah. The projector won't work." I say. He sit down next to me and picks it up. "You don't have to..." I trail off when he find the unplugged chord in my hand. 

"I think this is the problem." He says. Plugging it in. I look down at my hands, embarrassed. "That is, unless you didn't want it plugged in." He states, standing up. I just continue to look down. That is until his hand is extended out in front of me. 

Sighing I take it and allow him to haul me to my feet. "Hey, don't let this crowd freak you out. What I saw last time you played was insane. You got this. I knew you had it in you." He tells me. My eyes widen as he walks towards the stage. "Wait, what?!" I ask, panicked. He doesn't listen. 

He just goes up to the mic and begins to talk. "Hey. Everybody! We fixed the hologram thing. Who wants to see a show?" He calls out. Everyone cheers and my heart stops. They aren't here yet. I can't play without them. "Now...give it up....for Allie and the Phantoms!" He yells. 

I hesitantly walk onto the stage. I take the mic from his and he climbs down. Someone needs to remind me to never speak to him again. Why would he do this? He knew I didn't want to go out here yet. 

"Uh, hey! So, here's the thing. While Nick fixed the projector, I can't seem to connect with the guys. I'm sorry." I say, looking down. Everyone starts muttering angrily. My heart is beating rapidly. That's when I hear Carri's obnoxious voice echo through the gym. 

"Does anyone know the Heimlich? Allie's choking." She asks. I look down at my hands. Her footsteps get louder. I look up just in time for her to snatch the mic out of my hand. "There's only one way to save this dance. Who wants to see Dirty Candy?" She calls out. 

Everyone starts to cheer. She smirks and reaches for something, but Julie reaches out first and switches the sound off. "Oops, looks like the switch is broken." She says. "Fine, two can play at this game. Party at my house!" Carrie calls out. 

Everyone cheers again and with that Carrie leads them out of the gym, Nick on her arm. Both Julie and Flynn wrap their arms around my shoulder. "Well...that kinda backfired." Flynn states. We look out to see the new kid take a girl's hand. 

"Oh, well, I mean, the whole night wasn't a bust. The new guy found someone." Flynn says. The two start dancing. "Dang! Little man's got game." Julie says. I force a smile. Luke broke his promise. They  didn't show us. They bailed on me. 

We wait until the new guy and the girl leave before we go over and sit on the ground. We start popping balloons. "I can never show my face at this school again." I mumble, looking down at my hands. "That's what we get for depending on boys." Julie explains.

"I don't even know if I should be mad or worried. I have no idea what kind of trouble ghosts can get into." "We're gonna go get us some ice cream from the cafeteria. Fools gave me the keys. Come on Jules." Flynn says. They both stand up. 

"We can crash at Flynn's place and forget about this whole nightmare." Julie says. Popping one last balloon Flynn drags her in the direction of the cafeteria. "Get me two! Of everything!" I call after them. Once they're gone I hear the gym doors opening. 

"Allie, we are ready to rock this dance! Which is clearly over." Reggie says. I look over at them. Luke is looking around when I make eye contact with Alex. He tap the guitarist on the shoulder and he turns to face me. I stand up and face them, hands going to my pockets. 

Luke's eyes widen and his face melts into one of regret when he sees me. "Look, Allie, we are so, so sorry that we bailed on you." He says as they come closer to me. I don't smile. I don't say 'oh no, you're fine. we'll get em next time!' No, I just stare blankly at them. 

"Yeah...I mean, the night really go away from us." Alex explains. "And the twins." Reggie adds. Luke hits him, telling him to shut up. Twins? "Just tell me that it had nothing to do with getting back at Carrie's dad." I say. They're faces bear fake smiles as they start to deny my accusation. 

"Seriously? You guys are really lying to me?" I ask. Unbelievable. "Look, ok, it was something we needed to do." Alex explains. "But we'll do whatever it takes. We'll play the next school-" I cut him off, angry now. 

"What? Another dance where you guys can bail on me and make me look like a fool in front of everyone? Save it. You know what the worst part is? Our songs were good." I tell him. I then turn to the rest of the guys. 

"And all three of you knew what I've been through and what it took to get me to play. Then you go and do this? Bands don't do that to each other. Friends don't do that to each other. This was a mistake." I say, tears welling in my eyes as I back away from them. 

"You mean the school dance, right?" Luke asks, pleading with me with his eyes. I shake my head. "No, joining a band with you guys." With that the tears start to fall. I shake my head. I can't do this. I quickly run towards the door. "Allie. Allie!" Luke calls, but I drown him out. 

This was mistake. One big mistake.