𝙵𝚒𝚏𝚝𝚎𝚎𝚗

Start from the beginning

I am dressed. But I guess my normal clothes aren't fucking good enough for dinner with family. I scoff, thinking about how hypocritical that is of him, but decide to forget about it. He brought me these books, I should appreciate him.

I get up and sift through my drawers. I have to wear a color. If I don't, mom will make me change.

Once I find something I believe looks presentable I shut off my light, stuffing Jane Eyre into my backpack/purse and making my way downstairs.

Just as I'm about to touch the last step, dad is opening the door for some people. As Grandpa Vance and Grandma Kim step inside of our house, so does all of the high pitch greetings and hugs. I roll my eyes at how excited they all look.

Dad, of course, is standing off to the side like me. Looking awkwardly as grandma Kim gives everyone hugs. Oh god, no. I'm next...

She walks closer and wraps her arms around me, I hug her back awkwardly, and she holds me back to look at me. "Emery! You've grown so much!"

She quickly moves on to Auden and over exaggerates as she compliments his height. "You look so much older, Audie! Aw I missed you so much!"

Grandpa Vance comes up to me and pats my shoulder. "Hey kid, did you get the books?"

"Yes, I did. Thank you." I say politely, giving him a small side hug. Although I hate everyone, my mom taught me to be polite. So, of course, when she is around I use those social skills.

"Alright, where are we going?" Grandpa Vance asks the group, and we all shrug.

Grandma Kim gasps, "how about Tessa and I make dinner for you! Emery, you can join us, and we can make whatever we can find in your kitchen!"

I try my best not to scowl. Very sexist of her to assume I want to cook with the ladies. Mom looks at me expectantly, and I roll my eyes, nodding my head at them. "Okay, but I don't know what I'm doing."

Grandma Kim pats my back as we enter the kitchen. "Oh, don't worry, dear. I'll teach you."

I give her a small smile.

◉‿◉

Once we are all finished cooking, it turned out pretty nice. It wasn't actually as hard as I thought it'd be. I honestly would say I like cooking if they wouldn't all give me a look as if I had two heads.

We all sit down to eat, and everyone compliments me on grandma Kim and mom's cooking as if I did all the work. Honestly all I did was cut the tomatoes and stirred the sauce together...

"So, are you still working on any of the books I gave you last year?" Grandpa Vance starts up a conversation and I nod.

"I've actually gone through them twice. I've been doing a lot of reading." I say, gulping down some water.

"Do you have any specific book that you want?" He asks, and I shrug.

"Nope."

"What about one of your dad's books? Have you thought of reading those?" My dad chokes on his water, and my mom looks at him wide eyed.