𝕥᭙ꪮ

TESSA

TESSA.

I set down some French toast for Auden, kissing him on the forehead as I go back to the kitchen counter to prepare a plate for Hardin who has just arrived to the dinner table. His hair is crazy, and his eyes have circles around them making it very clear that he did not sleep last night. All I remember from last night was feeling his arms wrap around my body, lifting me from the couch as he slowly made his way towards our room upstairs. I tried to fight him, telling him we were going to fall down the steps if he wasn't careful but he only chuckled at me as if I was kidding. I was not kidding. That was at maybe 2:30 AM.

"Thank you." He mumbled and I give him a soft smile. I make a plate for Emery, setting it at her normal spot and before I can begin to walk towards the steps to call for her Hardin grabs my wrist. "Let her sleep. She had a long night." It is Sunday, but that doesn't make me feel better about it.

I give him a glare, but quickly let it go when I look at Auden confusingly staring at us. I nod silently, giving him the 'only because auden is here' look and sit down at my chair. Auden is only eleven, and he has never seen Hardin and I raise our voices to one another. We had made one rule, and one rule only. No fighting in front of the kids, and I tend to keep it that way. No matter how triggered I am about Hardin's calm behavior towards Emery's reckless one. I pick at my toast, staying quiet as Hardin starts a conversation with Auden about his science project next week. Auden has asked Hardin to help him come up with the perfect science project and they ended up choosing the different types of bullets and what makes them quicker than other bullets, bla bla bla. I don't know anything about bullets.

"Mom?" Auden breaks me from my thoughts and I look up from my plate. I lift my eyebrows and find both him and Hardin looking at me expectantly.

"I'm sorry, honey. What?"

"Is it okay if I do my presentation for you today?" He asks. He's already finished his project? Well, of course he has. He's my son. He doesn't have one reckless bone in his body unlike Emery.

"Yeah, that would be great." I smile up at him, and they both look back down at their plates giving me room to breathe.

I can't stop thinking about Emery. I keep worrying about where she goes at night and what she does. It can't be partying, because I've raised her better than that. Hardin and I made it very, very important to teach our kids that partying is fun to a point, but there can't be nights later than 12:00. But she has been pushing that deadline all week, and it's really getting to me. I see Emery slowly sit down from the corner of my eye, and stare down at her plate.

I hesitate before looking up at her and smile. "Good morning, honey. You slept in this morning." It really isn't a big deal, it is Sunday. But I want her to tell me where she was last night, and that must start with why she slept in. She nods, getting up from her chair and walking over to the sink with a cup to get some water.