December 31, 2021

Start from the beginning

"I love you," I said softly, our eyes still locked.

She leaned into my embrace. "Mmmmm...I love you. Would it be terrible if we were late to our own party?"

And just like that, I was aroused.

"I think being a few minutes late is fine. We can make a grand entrance together," I told her before spinning her around.

I lifted her up and set her on the edge of the marble countertop and she immediately wrapped her arms and legs around me as we kissed.

I pulled back. "Your make-up..."

"I haven't applied my lipstick yet since I always do that after my dress is on. I can touch up my face."

I kissed her deeper this time as I tilted my pelvis so that she could feel the effect she had on me.

"I need you, baby," I breathed into her ear.

"Then take me."

I unbuckled my belt and undid the button and zipper of my charcoal gray dress pants. Then I opened the middle drawer between our sinks and grabbed a condom. Ceci tugged my boxers down and took me in her hand, her grip firm yet gentle as she stroked me before taking the condom from me and rolling it on. Instead of taking her panties off, I pushed them aside and plunged into her, causing her to gasp loudly.

"Oh god..." she moaned as I rocked my hips into her.

I took my right hand and slid it down the front of her silky underwear so that I could touch her while my left cupped her breast. Her hands were clutching the edge of the counter to brace herself as I pounded into her. My lips were attached to hers as our tongues slipped in and out of each other's mouths.

It was rough and primal which drove us both to our climaxes quickly, but that was exactly the point of this kind of sex.

"Shawn!" she shrieked as hers came on suddenly.

I followed right behind with a guttural groan, grasping her tightly so that she didn't fall backwards into the mirror.

"Jesus fucking Christ!" I exclaimed through heavy breaths as I pulled out of her.

I disposed of the condom and redid my pants, tucking my silky black shirt into them.

"Give me couple minutes to finish up here and then I just need to put on my dress and heels," she said as she hopped off the counter.

Less than half an hour later, my beautiful girl and I entered the club I'd rented for the New Year's Eve party. She looked stunning in a burgundy velvet wrap dress, and my chest swelled with pride that I could share with the world that she was mine.

"Very cute Instagram post," Aaliyah said as she approached us, giving us both hugs.

I'd forgotten all about that, so I pulled out my phone and saw that it already had half a million likes and a ton of comments.

Both sets of our parents joined us and we headed to the bar for a round of drinks. Only a handful of guests had arrived, so Ceci and I circled the room to greet them. We were expecting a hundred people total, which was much bigger than my party had been the year before. Looking back, it was probably unwise to have hosted a social event at all in 2020 considering we were still in the first year of the virus.

This was the first joint party we'd thrown, which gave me an opportunity to meet some of Ceci's coworkers. Several of her high school and college friends who still lived in the area came, too. I'd invited all of my friends as well as the local members of my music team. Andrew and his boyfriend had flown in for the weekend and were coming to the condo for brunch on Sunday.

Within a few hours, the party was hopping. People were dancing, and champagne was flowing like water. The waitstaff circulated the room with bite-sized hot and cold canapés which seemed safer than setting up a buffet, though at this point there were only one or two new cases of covid a week in all of Ontario.

"Dance with meeeee," a slightly tipsy Ceci pleaded as she pulled me towards the dance floor.

"You know I can't dance!" I argued.

"Liar! We all saw the 'Wonder' video last year, and you've danced with me when we're alone."

"Dynamite" by BTS started playing and I gave in since it was still such a bop.

I spun Ceci around and loved seeing the huge smile on her face as her hair whipped around. I pulled her to me for a quick hug and thought I saw a familiar face out of the corner of my eye. I stopped dancing when I realized it wasn't just my imagination.

"Brian is here," I said into Ceci's ear so she could hear me over the loud music.

"Really? Let's go say hi."

"No! What if he's still pissed?"

"Shawn...he wouldn't have accepted the invitation if that were true. He's trying to make an effort," she assured me as she led me off the dance floor, straight to Brian who had his arm around a very pretty black woman.

"Hey man," I said, extending my hand. "It's great to see you."

I'd invited Brian despite our estrangement, because I couldn't have a party like this without putting him on the guest list. It felt wrong.

He took my hand and shook it. "Good to see you, too. You didn't have to stop making a fool of yourself on the dance floor to greet us, though."

I laughed. "Like you can dance?" I then addressed his date. "I'm Shawn and this is my girlfriend, Ceci."

"Hi," she said shyly. "I'm Erika."

Ceci gave Erika a warm smile. "You're empty handed! Let's go get drinks."

They left, leaving me alone with Brian.

"I didn't think you'd come, but it's made my night that you did," I told him.

He shrugged. "It was time to let go of my feelings of resentment. I met Erika last month and learned that liking someone is a lot more satisfying when it's reciprocated. Then I saw that you and Ceci are really together now. I asked Matt and he said you're in love. If the two of you are meant to be, I can't hold it against you."

"I've really missed you."

"Don't get all sappy on me. Let's just move on."

I nodded. "I can do that."

Just then, Ian and Matt joined us with shot glasses in their hands. They gave Brian and I each one and we all held them up.

"To the guys being together again!" I shouted.

The rest of the night was spent dancing, drinking, and flirting with Ceci, because that kind of thing is even hotter when you're together. By the time we got back to the condo at three in the morning, we fell into bed after shedding our party clothes and drifted off to sleep in each other's arms.

My last waking thought was that exactly a year ago I'd fallen asleep with Ceci after we'd unknowingly made our baby.