Chapter 4: Whispering in the Woods

"They don't have a clue about anything." Tntina told Brutus.

"Well, don't you think we shouldn't tell them?" Brutus answered after Tntina told him of her plan to reveal everything.

"They don't seem to stop searching for the truth."

"I guess we have no choice then. Anyways, did you find out what happened to Jules?"

"Yeah! Apparently, someone in the Grotto killed her."

"Someone from here? That means some people actually agreed with the bad plans we told them to enact."

"That was kind of stupid of us to do. People will actually act on them."

"I didn't expect such people to be in SHADOW, though.....Regardless, we need to stop it...and stop the bigger problem at hand."

Tntina nodded and the next morning quickly came.

Back at the Agency, Midas heard a knocking at his bedroom door.

"Midas! Midas!"

"Huh?" Midas mumbled groggily in bed. It was a familiar voice, but Midas couldn't quite figure it out as he was half-asleep. He'd usually still be sleeping at this time, but the commotion woke him up.

Midas thought for a moment, then realized that there shouldn't be anybody at the Agency yet. Did someone break in?! Midas grabbed his golden staff that was near his bed and tiptoed to the door.

He quickly opened the door and was about to hit the person in the head when the person opened her arms and rammed into him, causing him to fall to the ground with her on top.

"What...you...how?!" Midas was in shock. He would have never expected it to be her.

"I wasn't sure either if it was possible, but I came back. I'm back!" Jules smiled and hugged Midas who was still laying on the ground.

"I don't get it, but I'm so glad." Midas put his arms around her too, hoping he could stay like this forever never letting her go. Never letting her get harmed again.

After a couple minutes, they got up and Midas confronted Jules about the whole situation.

"How are you alive?! I've only seen things like resurrection in movies!" Midas was shook.

"To get you to understand that, I need to explain something else. Come with me." 

Jules took Midas's hand and they went to Weeping Woods in a secluded area with no cameras where they would be hidden by the many trees.

"Ok, now that nobody can watch or listen to us, I can tell you my true motives of going to Team SHADOW. You know when I supported you saying that you're a great leader and you've done nothing wrong? Well, I meant it. And loving you, of course I still do. The next morning, I realized something about this world. So, I had to break up and leave because I suspected Team SHADOW realized the same thing. We all realized that we're in a simulation. We're living in a shooting game. Each player gets resurrected after each round and loses their memories of their previous life. It's a never ending loop. When I was dying, I didn't know if I'd come back to life, but-"

"Wait wait wait. A simulation? A loop?! And how come you remember if others don't?" Midas was only getting more confused.

"I think it's because we're story characters. Since we're a part of the story, we can still remember things that have happened. And we just found out we can come back to life too."

"Wow...but how'd you even find out we're in a loop?"

"I saw someone get shot and die as I was looking out the window in the morning. And all of a sudden, after a blue light shone and his weapons fell, his body disappeared! A few minutes later, I saw a Victory Royale banner and the next instant, I saw the same person gliding down and landing near the same location! I couldn't believe it. That's when I realized we were in a game. An endless, looping game. But we weren't directly fighting with others so we couldn't be the players. That's how I found out we were story characters. And all the nonsense Team SHADOW had said during the meeting started to make sense...it's as if they were trying to create a distraction to prevent the people controlling the simulation from finding out we know the truth."

Upon hearing this, Midas sat down on a bench nearby. Jules sat beside him and took his hand.

"I know it's a lot to take in. I'm sorry for lying to you. I was trying to keep it a secret for the sake of everyone, but it's about time you found out. "

"It's okay. I would've done the same if I was in your place. What do we do now?"

"I talked to Brutus and the others and they know just about as much as I do."

"Oh yeah, I forgot! Tntina said she was going to talk to me today. We should probably head back. But....I ain't letting go of this hand."

Midas put his hand up to show him clasping Jules's hand and smiled. They walked back to the Agency, holding hands.

"Why were you outside wearing pajamas?!" Midas's bodyguard, Bob, yelled out as Midas and Jules entered the Agency.

"Oh shoot! I didn't realize. So embarrassing." Midas's cheeks turned pink.

"Hahahaha. It's okay. Nobody was there anyways." Jules and Bob laughed.

Midas went upstairs to change his clothes to get ready for Tntina's meeting. In the meantime, Skye had come and Jules explained the whole situation to her too.

"So now what?" Skye asked after taking a couple minutes to make sense of everything.

"We're just waiting on Tntina to come and see if she has any new news."

Just as Midas had finished getting ready, Tntina arrived to take them to Steamy Stacks, where they would meet up with Brutus and the others.

However, nothing could have prepared them for what they saw there.