#1

(Tobias P.O.V-Allegiant) "I can't believe you would say that! You were wrong-"

"Yeah, I was wrong!" I'm shouting now, and I don't know where the anger came from, expect that I can feel it swirling around inside me, violent and vicious and the strongest I have felt in days. "I was wrong, I made a huge mistake! My best friend's brother is as good as dead! And now you're acting like a parent, punishing me for it because I didn't do as I was told. Well, you are not my parents, Tris, and you don't get to tell me what to do, what to choose-!"

"Stop yelling at me," she says quietly, and she finally looks at me. I used to see all kinds of things in her eyes, love and longing and curiosity, but now all I see is anger. "Just stop."
Her quiet voice stalls the anger inside me, and I relax into the wall behind me, shoving my hand into my pockets. I didn't mean to yell at her. I didn't mean to get angry at all.
I stare, shocked, as tears touch her cheeks. I haven't seen her cry in a long time. She sniffs, and gulps, and tries to sound normal, but she doesn't.
"I just need some time," she says, choking on each word. "Okay?"
"Okay," I say.
She wipes her cheeks with her palms and walks down the hallway. I watch her blond head until it disappears around the bend, and I feel bare, like theres nothing left to protect me against pain. Her absence stings worst of all.