C H A P T E R 12

I get out of the car, now at the F.B.I SWAT headquarters in Los Angeles. It's really hot and the Sun is shining like hell.

With the trusty bag in my hand, I proceed to walk into the base for the first time in a while. Once entering, I scan the lobby and locate the front desk. I gently ask the receptionist where is the Captain currently. When I get the information I need, I proceed down the hall to meet the man in charge. As I walk by, I catch glimpses of faces both new and old, some even recognizing me along the way.

Walking down the hallway, someone is coming towards me but he's watching the floor beneath him and thus I can't make it out who is he. Then he raises his head and looks at me in shock. Now that's a face I will never forget.

Jake: "What the fuck? Marco!" –We shake hands then a fist bump at the end.

Jake: "What the hell are you doing here man? I thought you were Rainbow now!"

My expression turns from happy to sad and disappointed.

Marco: "I... I had to leave Rainbow, the details are classified."

Jake: "You're kidding right?"

Marco: "Only if I would, only if I would."

Jake: "Don't tell me it was you at the minister's hostage situation?"

Marco: "Sorry Jake, can't tell you anything." –And with that I start walking past him but he shouts after me.

Jake: "You can't or you don't want to tell me what happened?!"

I stop for a minute, then start moving again, it's enough if this stays in Rainbow. It hurts that I can't talk about it to my best whom I didn't see for a long a time, but this is only my problem not his.

I slowly make my way to the elevator, still thinking about our interaction with Jake. Was I too harsh with him? I didn't even greet him properly. My mind is going around so many things, it's starting to get too much. I press the button that will make the elevator to go on the top floor. After half a minute of silence the doors slide open and two agents get in the elevator while I make my way past them. I catch the glimpse of their eyes looking at me in disgust. They know. And they hate me for it.

I start walking down the hallway, still holding my bag in my hand. It didn't change much since the last time I was here. Still, not long enough. I remember the time, when I had to walk up here after having a fight with Matthew, the captain's son. I arrive at the office, and stop before entering. This is the place, where they chose me to become a Rainbow Six Operator, and this is where it all ends. I take a deep breath and open the door.

I see the Captain sitting at his desk, alone in his office, the only company he has is his work. I slowly make my way past the flower pots and get closer to his desk, and salute. I can hear the Captain sigh.

CPT.Nelson: "Green, how could you fuck this up, on a scale like this." –He starts raising his voice- "It was the chance of your LIFE! You could've become the best operative this HQ has ever seen!"

This surpised me, because usually he put his son in the first place, especially not me. I can't say a word just stand in front him and listen.

CPT: Nelson: "Look, I'm going to be honest with you. I had high hopes for you, but I see that I misjudged you. You aren't worth being in Rainbow Six. Your skills are only enough to barely grab the ladder and stay here. Even that is a miracle. You are getting your old room back and a new team. – He stares into my eye with a look as cold as ice- "But don't make yourself confortable, one more fuck up, and you can go back to whatever dumpsite you've came from!"

Marco: "Yes Sir!" –I shout, as that is the only thing I can say, then salute one more time, and get out of his office. I'm walking on thin ice.

I make my way down to my old room, trying to remember where it was. Eventually, after walking up and down in the base and living quarters I finally find it. When I enter the room I only see new faces watching me. Looks like my old teammates with Jake among them were transferred to other teams and assigned to other jobs. Nobody says a word, they are minding their own business.

Marco: "Hey" –I say quietly not wanting to disturb them too much. I see 3 other guys about the same age as me. The one with the brown short hair and a bushy beard turns to me and greets me.

Thomas: "So you're the old-new guy, back where you started huh?" –I couldn't get what he meant by that. Did he want to insult me, or he just knows what's up?