one.

"Good Morning, Miss Jo." The twenty-two seven year olds sang in a slow, dragged out manner. "Good Morning, my bright young minds!" I clapped my hands together and sat on the carpet with them.

I hate Wednesdays, but my hatred for Wednesdays begins late on Tuesdays. Wednesday mornings I am exhausted and have no motivation to do what is required of me.

"Ok everyone, yesterday we read a short story right before the bell called 'The Way I Feel'. Can anyone remember what it was about?" Hands shot up all around me and I closed my eyes and pointed randomly. "It was about how we feel when things happen, like when you fall over, you are sad but when someone gives you a hug, you are happy." Shaun proudly yells with his front teeth missing.

"Perfect. So what I want all you superstars to do is quietly get up, grab a piece of paper from the tub and go sit at your desk." I whisper, holding a finger in front of my lips. As usual, they stood up and ran at the paper tub, screaming and carrying on about who was at the front of the line. But I was too tired to fight. I stood up from the floor and slowly made my way to the whiteboard.

Once they were all sitting quietly at their desks, I picked up my blue, red and green markers and started drawing random scribbles and doodles on the board till it was a colourful mess that made no sense. I put the lids back on the markers and turned around to the class.

"This is colourful, which means happy or safe. It's also very messy, which could mean tired or confused. This is how I feel today. Now I want you to show me how you feel today."

Drawing activities are how I start every Wednesday morning, because it required me to move as little as possible from my chair and I could bullshit some reason it was an educational activity if I was ever asked. The bell for recess rang and the kids sprang from their seats, and ran to line up at the door. They looked around at the desks anxiously while I stood in front of the door. "Felicity, push your chair in! Xander, your pencils!" They all called frantically. Once the two returned to the line and I was happy with the state of their work spaces, I slid the door open and let them out to play.

I grabbed my phone, water bottle and apple from my bag and made my way to the staff lounge. I hated sitting in the lounge but nowhere near as much as I hated sitting alone in my dull yellow classroom. I sat down on the ugly brown leather couches they have set up in there and ate while scrolling on my phone.

Message from: William Gregory

I heard you leave this morning, can you be quieter next time? I don't ask for much.

Message to: William Gregory

Sorry, I didn't mean to. I wasn't watching where I was going and tripped over your boots at the front door. I love you x

seen 10:54am

I threw my head back against the couch and turned off my phone.

"Morning Miss Cook." The voice accompanied the sound of feet heading towards the kitchen. I rolled my eyes and sat up to look at him, hunched over looking into the bottom of the fridge, his white dress shirt pulling tight across his broad shoulders. "Mr Styles, I have told you more than enough times. I ask my students to call me Miss Jo, I would appreciate it if you would have some decency and respect my wishes. It's either Josephine, Miss Jo or Jo." I huffed, rubbing my upper arm.

He stood up and turned, looking me dead in the eye. "I have told you more than enough times, I don't care," he shot back. He lifted his water bottle to his lips, maintaining eye contact, and having a sip. "Enjoy the rest of your day, Miss Cook." He smirked before leaving.

Then the bell rang.