🦊 Sobbing In The Orchards 🦊

📗 TITLE: SOBBING IN THE ORCHARDS  📗

Author: goddessofwisdom-
Ongoing
Genre: Portal fantasy
#magic #fantasy #adventure

📘 DESCRIPTION 📘

Ryan Gomes and Scarlett Park have been best friends ever since their mothers disappeared on the same exact day with no explanation. A decade later, they've become resigned to normal, empty lives – which only get worse when Scarlett's aunt vanishes as well. 

Tired of the mysteries, Scarlett, Ryan, and Ryan's brother Tomas follow what clues are left on a hunt to find their family members. This investigation leads them not to a conspiracy, but to another world entirely.

This world is beautiful and magnetic, but dangerous and strange. Here, wolves howl at the moon as vampires get drunk on elf blood; fée princes make deals with foxes and goblins rule with iron fists. 

This is where they've always belonged: the land of Halcyon.

📕 WRITING SAMPLE 📕

The sky was blue that day.

Not the normal, washed-out gray-blue of Northern California in early springtime, nor the deep indigo of a cool March evening. No, the sky was a clear, summer-like cerulean, with not a cloud in sight, the day my mother disappeared.

📙 OVERVIEW / MY REVIEW 📙

I usually include more than one paragraph in the writing sample portion, but what more do you need to read? The prose is clever, the mystery is gripping, and each chapter offers a new look into an expansive fantasy world. Reading reminds me of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, since the characters spend much of the early story visiting dramatically different locales and interacting with dramatically different creatures.

There's always something new, but the through-line of the mystery holds the story together nicely. This isn't the kind of mystery that will string you along for two books just to get a taste of what's really going on; you discover new information at a rapid pace, but there's always more left to ask. I think the pacing works really well in this regard; I was getting sick of some stories' willingness to tangle me up in a mystery and drag me along for 600 pages without giving me any more info. :)

It's a story that makes me feel cozy and nostalgic, with a mix of old-school portal fantasy vibes, updated with some new-age creature concepts and vocabulary. :)  Definitely recommended!

The story is ongoing and chapter updates are variable, so be sure to add it to your reading list so you can get updates as they come!

📘 RECOMMENDED FOR READERS WHO... 📘

– Like their fantasy stories chock-full of interesting creatures rooted in real-world mythology.
– Enjoy classic portal fantasy like Narnia.
– Like a fast-paced story that visits new locations frequently.