🦋 Songs Of Mercy 🦋

📗  TITLE: SONGS OF MERCY  📗

Author: ElusiveMonty
Ongoing
Genre: Epic fantasy
#darkfantasy #swordandsorcery #superpowers

📘 DESCRIPTION 📘

On the world of Nadi, there rests a single continent where many lives will intersect...

Indigo is a young woman on the run from an oppressive, religious government that will stop at nothing to attain her supernatural powers. Hunted by Task, the relentless agent of the Royal First Company, she makes her way to the government's capital, to kill the High-Priest and put an end to his reign. 

Along her way she meets Rina, who is sent by a secretive organization to rescue a young girl, Svana, who may very well be the solution to the world's suffering. Tobias and Kip enter the fray as they are trying to escape the capital city, Shieldhome, so they can live peaceful lives together.

These people, and many more, are notes on the scale of coming revolution. Together they form music that none will be able to deny. These are their stories, of retribution, forgiveness, struggle and discovery. These are their songs.

📕 WRITING SAMPLE 📕

In small motions, like a sunset, Rina shifted her body to one side, sliding one foot forward on the small stone pillar, the other foot back just a bit. She cocked her head just so, leaned one way, then the other, then found the right lean. She focused on locking her muscles into this crouch. Once attuned to the sensation and the pain, she could stay there for years if needed.

Rina breathed. Slowly. Silently. Her heart slowed. It slowed even more.

It slowed until a flash of cold struck her and she reached her duality-point, a skill that was invaluable to those with a Gift. Rina eased into completed and utter calm in the body with intense focus within the mind. The purest composure that could be achieved.

When her duality-point was reached, Rina could hear everything. The shifts of the wind. The conversations deep within the walls of the castle.

She could hear the force of gravity.

The groan of the Earth in rotation.

📙 OVERVIEW / MY REVIEW 📙

Great characters and an interesting world! I love the descriptions of the character powers. These aren't your ordinary, beat-em-up superpowers; the characters spend a lot of their time grappling with the religious and moral implications of their own gifts. 

I'm super interested in learning more about the overarching story – the characters keep hinting that something larger is in motion, but I haven't gotten there yet, so no spoiler danger here. ;)

There are a lot of memorable, moving sequences in the story that make me excited to see how the characters continue to grow and change. The interspersion of quiet character moments and tense action scenes creates a story that drives forward with strong momentum. Check it out!

📘 RECOMMENDED FOR READERS WHO... 📘

– Want a cool fantasy world that isn't light on the story.
– Like badass female leads!
– Enjoy action sequences that don't drag on.