[ 18 ]

Hermione was transported to the Hospital Wing immediately after being found by Professor Snape and Draco Malfoy. Aine was distraught, she was just so close to being caught up to Hermione. She could have prevented the catastrophe but the thought of being able to save Hermione from being petrified haunted her more than the fact that she almost had gotten petrified if she was a few seconds faster.

 "Oh, dear..." Professor McGonagall gasped as she hurried into the hospital wing. Professor Dumbledore and other house heads were there behind them, their face plastered with fear and shock. "What happened?" she questions, looking at the Slytherin house head who was eyeing Aine. Draco stood by the corner, taking a peek at Hermione's petrified face before looking away immediately. He gazed to Aine, clearly shaken but was trying to put herself together. 

"You may excuse yourself, Mr Malfoy." Professor Snape announced, glaring at the blonde boy who immediately scurried away, sending one last look to Aine who stared at him with widened pupils.

"As you can see, Minerva, the Heir of Slytherin has taken another victim." Madam Pomfrey says bitterly, looking at the petrified students pitifully. "Explain yourself, Ms Estoileon!" Professor McGonagall says sternly, and Aine looked up at them, staring at her as she spoke, "I-- We were walking back to the common room but Hermione heard something so she ran after the sound and when I found her..." 

"What in Godric's name were you girls thinking?" She scolds Aine who simply looked down at her leather shoes, guiltily. "Now... Now, Minerva," Professor Dumbledore stood in, placing a hand on the female professor who shot him a glare. "I'm sure Ms Estoileon is just as baffled as the rest of us, the shock of her friend being petrified must have gotten to her," he says, nodding his head in understanding.

"That doesn't mean--" 

"Minerva," he says calmly, and Professor McGonagall huffed before fixing her gaze onto Hermione, "I'm afraid, we have to reinforce new rules as the casualties have increased. Please take full caution and until we find out who's causing all of this, I'm afraid, Hogwarts may be closed."

The professors nod their heads, as the Headmaster dismissed them, leaving Professor Snape and Professor Dumbledore, and Aine. "You must have been very surprised, Ms Estoileon. Are you alright?" the Headmaster asks in concern and the girl nodded her head, her fist still shaking. He gazes at her shaking hands before looking at Hermione, "Though I must say, I am very curious why she had the mirror?" 

"Perhaps, you know why?" he turns to Aine who blinks, there was nothing she could say. After all, who knows what happened if they told him that they were looking for the Basilisk? Imagine the look of disappointment on their faces, and worse, what if she got expelled from Hogwarts? Her father would most certainly be very upset with her, and that was the last thing she ever wanted. She never ever want her father to be hurt because of her. So, with a brave face she looked up, she lied, "No, sir." 

Professor Dumbledore looked straight into eyes that never wavers, and his eyes glinted through his half-moon glasses, before softening. This child... He nods, before looking to Professor Snape, whose eyes bore at Aine's head, trying to figure her out. But as usual, she wasn't making it easier for him to perform Legilimens. Strange...

"Well, I'm sure Mr Potter and Mr Weasley would be informed about Ms Granger. Why don't you head back to your common room now, Ms Estoileon?" the headmaster suggested, but Aine shook her head, "I think I'll be staying here for a little longer, Professor." 

"Very well, I'll have Professor Snape, Professor Sprout and Madam Pomfrey cook up the antidote as early as possible once we have the sufficient ingredients", he said, turning to the Potions master, "I trust you would craft the perfect potion for those petrified, Severus?"