Chapter 18| Capiche

Start from the beginning

"By the by, how the fuck did you get past security? It's not like the school just lets anyone in."

He smirked back at me. "Let's just say I have my way around things."

"I still can't believe you came to see a girl who thought she saw you but you chose to run away from."

"Exactly my point. I came to see her not talk to her. And I still don't think your case is any different so stop judging me." he clucked his tongue, pulling a sour look.

"Whatever. Can we go now?"

"Sure, but aren't you going with Tobi? I brought my car."

We lifted ourselves from the grass and began to walk towards the school's parking lot.

"I'll text him not to bother."

"Even if he's already on his way?"

"Don't care." I replied over my shoulder.

"Oh shit!" he laughed and clapped his hands. "Looks like you've finally grown wings on your father. You're dead meat when you get home, you know that?"

"Just shut up, will you?" I snapped at the idiot and added, "You're no different either. Your father would gladly kill you if he knows you bunked school to visit Ota. Are you even going back home today?"

"Forget that shit. That man has killed me a million times and I'm still walking. What's the worst he can do? And no, I'm staying the night at your house so don't be rude to your guest, boy!"

I let out a hearty laugh and quietly admitted, "It's nice to have you back."

"Aww." he cooed. "Look who's missed his good old buddy!"

I gave him the stink eye. "Just shut up, wena?"

"Motherfucker, say you love me and stop hiding behind the aggressive replies."

My face creased in disgust at his words. "When did you turn gay?"

Knowing him to be homophobic, he tried to punch my arm but I dodged it in time to wrap my arm around his neck.

And we teased and insulted each other all the way home.

~~~

Tracy

I finally gave up after reading the same line over and over again and still was not taking it in.

"Remind me why I want to go to the university again?" I huffed.

Chioma, sitting cross-legged on the floor rug looked up at me and shook her head. "What is it again?"

"I'm not getting it." I whined, burying my face in my palms.

"You're probably just trying too hard. Take it one after the other and understand each sentence before going to the next, that's how to read."

We were currently in my cozy room, spending the evening preparing for our upcoming exams. My room was themed sky blue and the same goes for my bed spread and most of my accessories except the floor rug having a darker shade.

Chioma and I were to be registering for the UTME exams by February and we would be registering for WAEC thereafter.

This was the moment I've been waiting for my entire life. I had envied my seniors and constantly wished I was amongst them, preparing to sit for the external exams and subsequently leave the school.

Now that it was my turn, I was petrified. Time flew a lot faster nowadays and I felt so insecure and unsure of myself every passing minute. If only I had more time to prepare. These days, I looked at my juniors and longingly wished I was in their shoes. Their dirty, dirty shoes from playing games during break, not caring the slightest about some dumb certificate exams.