8. Long for the Tender Past, the Brighter Future

/*hellooo! it's been a while! your author is struggling with school, so she doesn't have too much time to write anymore. I'm sorry, I'll try to be a bit more consistent but we'll see. Please leave some nice comments about the story, I need the motivation to write so badly T^T 

Seriously, I'm taking 5 APs and I'm on the board of two clubs and I'm applying for college so that's fun... 

A short recap of last chapter: todo tells you (kind of, but not directly) about how he feels about you, and you (kind of) return his words. You get a phone call from your mom and abruptly leave the library. Todo is suspicious of your actions. 

Trigger warning, there is verbal abuse, and a bit of physical violence.

Yeah it's been a while, please skim the last chapter if you've forgotten. Enjoy! */

"Hello?"

"(Y/N)." Your mom's voice wavered through the phone. The background noise was almost unbearably noisy. "(Y/N), did you go under the sink?"

"Um. What?"

"Did you go under the sink?!"

"Mom, what-"

"Did you take the fucking package!?"

You pulled your phone away from your ear as her voice suddenly shrieked higher. Quickly, you turned away from the library doors, walking away down the darkening street.

"No! What package? What are you talking about?"

"Taped under the sink!! I swear..." She suddenly broke into a fit of coughs, and you were just about to hang up when her voice came back again, a hiss of unconcealed venom. Quiet as if she didn't want anyone to hear her. "The fucking money under the sink."

"There was money un-"

"SHUT UP. Did you- fuck... did you spend it!?"

"MOM! I did not take your- god I didn't even know-"

"If you're lying..."

"I'm not lying-

"IT WAS FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS YOU LITTLE BITCH YOU KNOW I-"

"WE HAD FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS!?"

"YOU FUCKING KNOW I-"

"NO. Shut up." You hissed. She raised her voice but you spoke over her. "I- Jesus... where did that money come from? Why didn't you tell me we had it? What were you going to do with it? Buy some stupid expensive ass wine? Weed? God, have you actually started doing drugs? Have you finally gone so low?"

"It's none of your fucking business what I do with my own damn money!"

"Stop being so damn IMMATURE! Do you even know what we could do with that? Rent is due in two weeks, they're threatening to cut our fucking water, our fridge is fucking empty, do you even know how much we needed that money? WHY CAN'T YOU THINK PAST YOUR OWN STUPID DESIRES?"

"Because I-"

"NO! LISTEN. The only reason we haven't been kicked yet is because I have a fucking job. Do you even know how hard it is? It's only a part time- we don't have enough. I don't have a single classmate who has to work after school, do you know why? Because their parents actually support them. I am the only reason you're not homeless. And... and... you dare accuse me of stealing money?"

"Do not raise your voice at me! Don't act all high and mighty because you're working, guess who raised you? Who put you through school, wh-"