Prologue

It was still dark when you first woke up. You were never an early riser, but the roiling turmoil of emotions in your stomach kept you from going back to sleep. Taking a deep breath, you lay there for a moment, trying not to think too much about the day ahead of you. 

It wasn't that you hated school, but today was certainly going to be interesting. Your mind flipped and turned with imagined scenarios, which you tried your best to shake out of your head. Laying there restless wouldn't do you any good, so with a huff, you pulled yourself out of the warm comfort of your bed. Peeking at the clock, you figured you still had an hour or so before you had to get going.

Pulling the blankets about you, you plodded across the icy floor to sit yourself at your vanity. You weren't one to put too much care into appearances, but even you couldn't deny that you looked absolutely awful at the moment. Dark rings circled your eyes, your hair stuck out every which way, and your cheeks had developed a pale pallor. You could only attribute your sullen appearance to the worrying amount of sleep you had gotten over the past couple of days.

With a sigh you closed your dry eyes, trying to sort out your emotions in an effort to clear your mind. At the forefront of your troubles was most definitely anxiety--meeting new people was never a comfortable task for you. Next was exhaustion--it had taken every ounce of physical and mental strength you had to prove to your teacher that you had improved beyond the confines of general studies. Floating beneath that was anger. Anger towards classmates, towards family… but suppressed beneath it was paralyzing sadness that worsened the more you thought about it.

Snapping out of your daze, you opened your eyes to meet that tired face again with a sigh. You tried to smile at her, and she weakly smiled back. Today marked a new start, and things would be different now. It was time to face the day.

. . . 

The class had been abuzz all morning, filled with whispers of a new student that was to be introduced during homeroom. The introduction of the last general studies student, Shinsou, had caused quite a stir in the classroom and many wondered if the new student would do the same. Was it a boy? A girl? What was their quirk? The anticipation was palpable.

However, the excited chattering did not manage to infect one Shouto Todoroki. He had worked late into the night on an English paper he had been putting off, and too put it kindly, Japanese was most definitely his stronger language. He didn't care too much for this new student--as long as they weren't as rude as Shinsou was when they first met, he would most likely get along fine with them.

He heard Midoriya turn around next to him, trying to encourage Todoroki into the animated conversation he was having with Iida.

"Iida's thinking that Chikuchi Togeike is the transfer. I can see it happening… her quirk would really round out our class since we don't have any plant based powers, " the green eyed hero pondered, resting his cheek in a hand.

"Yes and she seems like a team leader,  which I appreciate!" Iida exclaimed, hitting his hands together. 

"I suppose so," Todoroki said after a bit of thought. "I honestly don't know very many general studies students. It could really be any one of them."

"Well, they are on a different floor than us. We aren't ever really training with them like we do with Class B too." Midoriya responded thoughtfully, glancing at the clock. "Aizawa should be here with them soon, homeroom is already halfway over."

As if summoned, said teacher opened the door with a bit more force than necessary. The class hushed as the handle snapped back in place with a loud twang. Aizawa stepped inside, holding the door open for the new student.

You slacks make the quietest of footsteps as you shyly made your way to the front of the class. Your eyes scanned over the room full of surprised faces, a bit of anxiety crawling in your stomach as dozens of eyes trained onto you. A few familiar faces popped out at you, but no one that you could call a friend. No one seemed majorly disappointed or angry to see you though, so you took that as a good sign.

You coughed a little, cheeks turning a bit pink in embarrassment as you glanced around nervously. "Hi everyone. My name is (Y/n) (L/n), and I'm transferring from general studies." You tried your best to crack a little smile. "I look forward to working with you all from now on."