Chapter 4: Harpy

"We can chase the dark together

"We can chase the dark together. If you go, then so will I..." Anthem of the Angels by Breaking Benjamin

Harper was in the library, covered with a Christmas-red blanket and a hardback book in her lap

Harper was in the library, covered with a Christmas-red blanket and a hardback book in her lap. Wheat-colored locks fell against her cheek as her finger slipped beneath a golden edged page. The sound of rustling paper, the smell of old books, and the serene picture she was part of made it seem like everything was fine.

When Hayden released my arm, I took a step forward, hand reaching outwards, eyes watering. "Harper!"

She yelped. Her head jerked up. With wide eyes she searched my face. It was like she didn't recognize me at first. Eventually, her pale hand lifted to her trembling lips. "Kender?" she whispered.

I didn't wait for her to get up from the leather loveseat. Instead, I took the remaining steps towards her. My heart thumped with something I hadn't felt in a long time. My arms instantly wrapped around her thin shoulders within a vice-like grip. The tiny grunt that escaped her rumbled in her throat, causing vibrations against my damp cheek as I pushed my face against her neck and inhaled. She smelled different, like freshly laundered cotton with a splash of lime and coconut.

"You smell... good," I said, leaning forward to sniff again.

Ah, there it was... that smell that made Harper. It was hidden under clean clothes and fancy lotions. There was just enough burned coffee grinds and sugar to tickle my nose and ignite a bout of memories of Harper playing in the small meadow of flowers we had in our back yard. Of Harper getting ready for school and stealing my favorite hoodie because it was cold outside.

Everything I'd done, everything I'd been through so far was all seemed worth it in that moment, but would give almost anything to go back in time. When things were easy and we could just be us again. It didn't work for all families, but it worked for ours. I sniffled and it was loud, sounding like a baby elephant with a cold. Crying usually wasn't for me, but lately there seemed to be a need to cry more than usual.

"I can't believe you're here," Harper said into my neck. Her breath ruffled strands loose from the beanie cap on my head and the gasp I'd been waiting for came. The shoulder smack I could've done without.