Chapter 11:

Mulai dari awal

"Yes...I'm..." I cannot finish my sentence. My laughter takes over.

"Evelyn, you need to breathe..." Lydia's voice is serious now.

"I...can't..." I breathlessly say.

"Remember what I told you..." Lydia watches me carefully.

The kettle clicks and as if a light bulb switch turns on in my head, I immediately stop laughing. My voice changes from laughter, to sobbing. I am crying now? Oh Ransom! That man plays on my emotions!

"Dude...what is going on with you? Breathe!" Lydia exclaims.

I close my eyes and inhale. My voice shakes as I take in a breath.

"Now breathe out..." Lydia whispers.

I let out my breath and I repeat this breathing technique Lydia taught me a few more times. On the last exhale, my shoulders relax and I slouch forward.

"Do you feel better?" Lydia asks.

I begin to nod, but then shake my head vigorously. I can feel the tears forming on the corners of my eyes and I burst out crying.

"My darling friend!" Lydia shrieks and wraps her arms around me.

My mind travels back to Ransom...and that woman! Ransom FLIRTED with her...after we spent the night together...intimately!

Why did I have to fall in love with such an asshole?

"He is not here! I am here!" Lydia says as if she knows I am thinking of Ransom.

I look up at the ceiling and all that goes through my mind is Ransom...and Callie!

My stomach twists and churns and I cannot hold it back anymore. I let out a scream. A scream loud enough that could make glass break.

Lydia begins to rock me from side to side slowly...like I am a fragile child. "He won't come to this house. If he ever does, he has to go through me." she emphasizes the last word. "And Sheila and Simba." she adds.

I take in a deep breath because I need to stop crying about this situation. I cannot be crying over someone who I broke up with. I broke up with Ransom for a reason, and this was one of them. I inhale and exhale slowly, and my eyes dry, leaving tear stains on my cheeks. I push away from Lydia and sit back on the couch. I am thankful for the comfy pillows Lydia gifted to me. She knows how to style a room.

"Did something else happen before you arrived back home?" Lydia asks curiously, leaning back and watching me carefully.

I wipe the tear stains from my cheeks and exhale. "I do..." I look around the living room, "but not here. Could we...um...maybe take our dogs for a walk?" I ask.

Lydia looks to the sliding door and back to me. "Sure. They haven't gone for their walk yet. I will just grab my walking shoes."

I call my dog and she is on the couch, licking my face. I cannot help but smile at my fluffy dog. "That's my ear." I snicker.

Sheila wags her tail and climbs on top of me. "Down girl. I need to get your collar." I hug my dog and place her on the floor.

Simba whines at the door where Lydia went to. I hear her echo that she is coming now and if I can attach the leads to her dog. Simba runs to me and sits next to Sheila. I clip their leads on them.

***

"WHAT?" Lydia yells after I finish speaking.

"Sshh" I animate my hands to hush Lydia because people start to turn their heads toward us.