Chapter 21 Cold Hearts

Start from the beginning

"You are correct, young one," Poulus regarded Celia now. "From what we have gathered from the Black Hand and other sources, you lived a rather quiet life up until the day your town was attacked. And given how many obvious parallels exist between that and the siege on Silondras. So tell us, Lady Celia, who are these foes to our empire, and why have they come to us?"

This was it, Celia knew.

She took a deep breath. "This enemy . . . it is one that certainly existed for some time in the underbelly of our empire. Perhaps since its inception."

"Really?" Sikus asked. "Then why haven't we heard of this Talin before? Surely no such organization could remain so hidden all these years."

"They have taken many aliases over the hundreds of years," she said. "Talin is their root, always has been, and will be. They hide in shadows, collecting powers and strength from many sources, be they magic, influence, or human resources. And over the years, they have repeatedly sought absolute power, merely for power's sake."

"It would be hard to take claims so seriously if we were in any other situation," King Graham admitted. "But the fact that these people, making no claims to thrones, lands or kingdoms has done so much damage."

"What do these people want with the empire, however?" Lady Palia asked. "Is this a mere rebellion against the crown or . .?"

"How do you seem to know this threat so intimately, Celia?" Paulus asked her the hardest of questions. "And if they are such a threat, why haven't the Witch Queen told us about this before?"

"Because only anon hast Fate did allow me so."

The voice sent shivers up her spine and made her bones ache. A cold feeling crept upon them all despite the late hours of the day. The sun receded as if chased, and the clouds gathered stronger to choke its radiance. The candles flickered, turning from yellows and oranges to deep blues and sapphires. The altar, where the throne of the Empire sat, suddenly became enveloped by fog. The distant calls of horns could faintly be heard. Everyone knew what was to come but was astonished by it. When the fog did dissipate, a woman in a pale white dress and shawl was left standing. Her face was hidden, yet blaring white eyes shined through the thin veil. A large wide-brimmed hat like the Grandmaster's, allowed only short strands of long hair to peek through underneath. Her aura was ominous, indicative of those who have passed from this mortal world into the waiting afterlife. Yes, this was the matron. In life, she was instead known as Queen Avarossa Lucian, the Hasnian Witch, the second wife of the first Emperor of Thiria. Everyone within the Wild Halls bowed in reverence. It was such a rare occasion that she ever revealed herself; her presence was undoubtedly a moment to reflect upon.

"We are gracious to be in your presence once more, Matron," Paulus said.

"As at each moment," though white eyes scanned the room. When they landed upon Massia, she felt this uneasy panic rise. She realized it was Vermilia. Could she see her? Her gaze moved on, but Massia couldn't help but feel targeted now.

"I have indeed cometh now, my children, on occasion so unfit and unjust," she announced. Even more hey firm they were just solid but after A moment so began to fade. "A beloved ruler hast fallen and passed to a dangerous enemy. I have observed one but made no note of it and allowed it to Fate. However, they now pose a real danger to our empire and must be stopped at all costs, lest they cause our destruction."

"Destruction?" many voices raised their questions and concerns at that word as scribes rapidly jotted down every word she spoke. But the silence left by her quickly quelled them all. She then turned to Celia and beckoned her forth. A little stiffly, Celia did rise and moved to the podium that Paulus now vacated. The Matron did not move from the Emperor's throne, but her directions were clear. Celia took in a breath before speaking, addressing all else. The Matron has chosen to side with her, after all. And as she finally disappeared in a small puff of light, Celia began.