Chapter 21 Cold Hearts

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," she said, then gestured to her cuffs. "Do I have to wear these the whole way through? They are starting to chafe."

(X)

"Let us proceed to the first hearing?"

Lord Poulus gestured to Celia. Like the other royals, she sat on her own thrown, entirely severed from everyone except for Makyra, who stood by her side. She took a deep breath. She had prepared herself for this, but even still, it was hard to keep a level head. This was the empire's might, its seven kings and queens, here to judge her. Not only for her status as the queen but for having anything to do with eh suspicious circumstances of Jame's death. She sat forward in her seat, careful not to move her hands too much. The curse of the pendant lingered even now. She has gotten used to the constant pain and strain put on her body, be it her nerves or something else, and they seem all the more apparent now. She knew better than to show weakness.

So Celia regarded all of her peers in a glance. The queen of Koraki: Lady Palia, the black feather. Her eyes were the most baring on her, despite her thin frame and overall unimpressive demeanor. Most of her mass was comprised of the black-feathered dress she wore. She had kept in close relations with James, above the rest of the royals. She regrets not being in better contact with her, and she has a reputation for actually being a charming woman when it comes down to these sorts of events. The same with Poulus. He had only sent her word once, condolences for James' death and nothing else. He seemed a respectable man, though Aetos tend to have the reputation of being pretentious on occasion. Hopefully, he proved the odd duckling in his litter. King Graham Dur. He spent the better part of the last six months of the past six months making operations of the forest fire caused by the eruption of Mount Kryn. Thanks to helping from mages, it has become manageable. Despite his bulky frame, tense face, and overbearing look, he was a softer soul than most could tell. He was one of the few who visited her in silondras. He, and King Imidius III. His father was a comrade to James, Celia, and Wilbur. He was much younger than others, given that his father died when he was sixteen. Makyra made a habit of visiting him and making sure he was safe going. He looked more nervous than she did and did not respond well to having so many big names in the same room like this. Seeing that softened her heart just a bit. Then there was King Rubert Denever. A pale-skinned older man, he was the most senior by far and acted like it. He did not flinch when she regarded him, just curious and suspicious to a point as she expected. He had seen many royals come and go. Some offer Peace and prosperity, like James. Others offer war, like James' father, king Torren Colt. And that left the stern-looking King Sikus. Along with King Torren, he caused the city that nearly tore the Empire in two. Though Celia knew what caused his madness, none others do but those of Theurgy.

"My brothers and sister," she spoke. The structure itself reverberated with her voice, designed so that everyone could hear those near the center. Any chatter ceased immediately. "We all know the gravity of our meeting here and the significance it brings so rarely seen in our times. But I come not as a thief to the throne held by my beloved predecessor, James Colton. I offer myself naked before you, as there is nothing I can hide before you all."

"Are you certain?" Lady Palia asked. "I remember you, Celia. So close to James and his companion. Your disappearance was curious then. Your sudden appearance now? What are we to think? Tell me."

"We can hardly blame them," King Graham posited. "Wilbur, like any knight, preserved the right to retire when it suited him. Your appearance, however, Lady Celia does raise some obvious questions and concerns. Please tell me, was the eruption of Mt Kryn somehow connected to the attack on Silondras?"

"How in the hell would they be connected?" King Sikus asked him. "A volcano erupting and a castle siege?"

"They did occur rather sequentially, lord Sikus," Imidius noted, then immediately wilted with many eyes on him quickly. "I just mean. A lot seemed to happen so quickly those months, no?"