Chapter Five: A New One?

"Thank you, Alfred," Arty and I say as Alfred drop us at the mall. We walk in and it's not too busy, which is good.
"Now I might not be very girly, but we will find you something in here," Artemis says as we walk into a dress shop.
"Okay, don't know why I need a new dress. I have three or four at home," I say following Arty.
"But Dick has seen you in those dresses," Artemis resorts.
"Why is impressing Dick so important all of a sudden?" I ask.
"Because I have goals for you," she says putting her hand on her hip.
"What kind of goals?" I ask slowly.
She looks up at me, "Goals you'll want to reach," Artemis smirks. So we browse through hundreds of dresses trying a few of them on. We find Artemis an strapless aqua coloured dress. We continue to look for mine.
"Hey Barbara," Artemis calls, "try this on,"
I don't get a chance to look at the dress before Arty has pushed me into one of the changing rooms. If this shows anything I don't want it to I'm not trying it on, though Artemis knows that. I hold up the dress, it's beautiful and doesn't seem to show anything, but my back, which is fine. Once I'm in the dress I look at myself, it does look stunning, the dress I mean, defiantly not me. It's a beautiful dark blue dress that pretty much reaches the floor. The actual skirt starts just above my hips and two pieces of cloth cover my torso by crossing over each other and doing up behind my neck, but they're sewn together so the material can't move out of position. It has a low back and slits up each side if the dress which stop halfway up my thighs. All in all it's beautiful.
"You done yet," Artemis calls. I almost forgot about her. I unlock the door and walk out. Artemis stands there with her mouth open looking stunned.
"What?" I ask after three minutes, she was starting to creep me out.
"You look... I mean compared to all those other dresses this makes you look like a goddess... You're going to make Dick faint, which is one of my goals," Artemis gushes.
"One of your goals is making Dick faint? And goddess is overrated, but thanks," I say.
"No you're wrong goddess is underrated," Artemis replies.
"Can I help you girls with anything? Any particular occasions?" The shop assistant asks.
"We're just going out for dinner with my boyfriend and her so called just a friend, but you know what they say, dress to impress," Artemis replies smiling.
"Oh. So who's the lucky man?" The lady asks me.
"Um... Dick Grayson," I say.
"Wait a minute you're Barbara Gordon aren't you?" She questions.
"Yes, but don't say anything to the media. They ruin my life," I say quickly.
"You have my word," the lady smiles, "so have you both chosen your dresses?"
"Yes we have," Artemis says before I have a chance to reply.
"Okay beautiful," the lady says, I start to walk back into the changing rooms, "oh and Barbara,"
"Yes," I reply turning around.
"Your so called just friend, Dick Grayson, might turn into more than just a friend if you turn up in that dress tonight. You look stunning," she says.
"Thank you," I say blushing slightly. I walk into the changing rooms.

* * *

We walk into the manor. I turn to Artemis.
"Thank you," I say hugging her.
"It's what best friends are for, right?" Artemis smiles. I nod. We walk up stairs and dump our shopping bags in the room which I stay in if I ever stay over. Then walk back down stairs.
We're met by a, "you took 54 minutes, what do you know. Girls can stay in a time limit when shopping," Wally declares.
"What are you saying?" Artemis says putting her hands on her hips.
"That, in short, you stayed in your time limit, good job," Dick says as he walks in, "it's 3 to 6pm now, so we will leave in 30 minutes is that good for everyone?"
"Yes, but where are we going?" I ask. Everyone in the room smiles.
"What?!" I ask throwing my hands in the air.
"It's just funny how you want to know everything that's happening to you," Arty says, "ever heard of the word 'surprise'?"
"Well you all know where we're going," I challenge.
"Don't you think I'd have told you where we're going by now if I wanted you to know?" Dick asks.
"Probably, but I just like to know what's going on," I confess.
"We've noticed," Wally chips in.
"Fine, I trust you," I say walking up the stairs Artemis at my heel, "anyway, a surprise might be nice, I will enjoy it," I call.

* * *

"Hey Arty, can you help me with the zip?" I ask walking up behind her.
"Sure," she answers doing up my zipper, "now can you help with mine?"
"Sure thing," I reply doing up her dress, "you look like an angel," I say as she turns around.
"Thank you," she says digging through her bag, "I'm guess you don't like much makeup?"
"No, but I'm letting go tonight. So do as you please with my hair and makeup," I say smiling.
"That's what I'm talking about girl," Artemis says clapping happily. Never knew she could be this girly. I let her do my makeup, which she doesn't do a lot of, but enough to make me noticeable. She pins my hair up in some complicated bun and leaves a few bangs of hair loose at the front.
"Artemis, you're amazing!" I say as I look in the mirror.
"Shooting an arrow is not the only thing I do well," she smiles. She quickly does her own hair and makeup.
"Come one, lets go make the boys faint," Artemis says walking out the door.
"Now that would be fun to watch," I say following her. Artemis stops me just before the stairs, she tells me to stay out of sight until she calls me. Apparently she's going to go find Dick. I hear them come back into the room.
"Dick I've got something to show you," Artemis says. I hear their footsteps stop in front if the wide stairs.
"Barbara," she calls. I hate being made a fuss of its really not worth it. I walk out from around the corner and stop at the top of the staircase. A warm blush appears on my face. I look down at the floor as a walk down the stairs. I stop in front of someone: Dick. I look up at him, but I find his eyes aren't on mine. They're scanning my body up and down. His face shows speechlessness and his mouth is open. Dick stands there for the next 5 minutes at which point I start to blush again. I flick my eyes to the side and find Artemis smirking. I look back up at Dick this time his eyes are on mine. In the next half a second his lips are on mine as well. We break apart, though our faces are still close.
"You look like... I don't know if there's something as beautiful as you look," Dick whispers, "did you know you're flawless, beautiful, astounding, selfless, amazing, wonderful, brave, gorgeous, an angel, astrous, strong--" I cut him off. My cheeks are bright red.
"Dick--" he cuts me off.
"Yeah sorry. I was lost for words so I just said them all," he says smiling.
"So I take it the dress was whelming enough for you," I say.
"Barbara, you're overwhelming and I'm not overwhelmed very often at all," Dick says. Artemis walks over.
"You filled two goals, well done," Artemis says.
"How many goals are there and which ones did I just fill?" I ask.
"Hundreds and you made his jaw drop and got him to kiss you," she says smiling proudly. If only she knew I was marrying him, she'll find out in an hour or so.

* * *

We all clamber into the car and in a few minutes the car is full of laughter. I forget about all my responsibilities for a while, it's the nicest feeling to the world. It feels like old times. Alfred puts on the breaks and we come to a stop. I look away from my friends and out the window. No. He didn't. No wonder they didn't tell me! I've been wanting to come here since I was 14, but never have been. I look up at the amazing restaurant/hotel as we get out of the car. I've only ever seen this place in photos. It's breath taking.
I hug Dick tightly, "I can't believe you brought me here!" I squeal. He smiles at how thrilled I am. I compose myself and let go of Dick.
"Thank you," I say.

~~~~~~

Hope you guys liked it!