Zaharah didn't care for sculpting, so much so that when the opportunity to take that artistic path came up, she'd shoved it to the side. Her hands favoured brushes and pencils more than clay and chisels. Still, even she marvelled at the workmanship of the conch blower. She'd been fortunate enough to meet its sculptor before his passing five years ago and worked with the University alumni who kept the statue maintained.

People milled around the circular park, taking pictures in front of the statue or climbing the steps to the House of Parliament. The building hugged the park, stretching ten stories high, windows winking in the sunlight.

As the train drifted by, tourists on board rose from their seats to snaps photos and marvel at the sculptural wonder. If they freaked out this much over the conch blower, the diver in front of the university and the mermaids at the Special Defence Force base would send them into hysterics.

"Damn," Roddi breathed, his gaze out the window. "It's been ages."

Zaharah scrunched her brow. "You used to live here? In the 700?"

"Yeah. I lived with my older brother in the Pigeon Run. We'd ride the 7 past here to go home."

At the sound of that name, a cold jolt went down Zaharah's spine, and she exchanged a glance with Jade. The Pigeon Run wasn't a name frequently heard in their household growing up. The only reason Zaharah knew about it was through a teammate who lived there.

"If you don't mind my asking, how did you end up in Denden?"

Roddi shrugged a shoulder and leaned back in his seat. "It's cool. I don't know what happened to our parents. For as long as I could remember, it was always me and my big bro. We lived in a shabby little apartment on the east side. I went to school, he went to work." He shook his head like a disappointed parent. "I didn't understand what work meant for him until DEU broke down our door one night. My brother went to jail. I went to Denden. That's the short version."

"I see," Zaharah cast her gaze downward. "That must have been horrible being torn away from your only family like that." We're all kindred spirits, she added in her head.

He breathed a laugh. "Denden is full of tragedies."

"Right." Zaharah gave a slight smile, remembering when Pharah had said the same to her back in the biodome.

They continued their ride in silence, save for Shala and Skorpi beeping and talking at each other. Roddi and Jade kept his eyes in their phones, Pharah had fallen asleep after they passed Goombay Park and Zaharah watched the passing scenery.

It took four hours to get to the New Andros Station on the upper east side. When they stepped out the automatic doors, the sun stretched their shadows long. Across from the station was a restaurant take away called the Marching Crab. The lots beside it was stuffed with cars and merriment drifted from within, intertwined with the enthusiastic voice of a sports announcer.

North of the train station was a shuttle surrounded by the few tourists who'd made the ride all the way out here. One by one, they stepped onto the shuttle, ushered by a man dressed in dark blue and gold finery. "Be sure your tickets are visible," he said in a bright, cheery voice.

Zaharah inched closer leaning over to catch a glimpse of what was going on. A family of three stepped up and the mother flashed a card at the conductor. A red card with a gold wing.

She reached into her bag, unzipped the pocket on the back and pulled out card Elliot had given her. This is your ticket to see him, he'd said. But this one was different, gold with a red wing.

"Zaharah."

She whipped her head around at the sound of Pharah's voice. "Yeah, what's up."

"Jade has the directions. But it's a two-hour walk from here. It'll be close to dark by then."